Shark Tank.. who has them?

patrick8929

okay i am becoming more and more interested in getting a shark tank. this wont be for years to come but i was wondering who all on here is keeping a shark(s) for long periods of time? and if youare someone that is have success post pics!!! please and thank you!

crimzy

I had my Eppie for about 3.5 years before I felt it needed to be upgraded. Had him in a 225 gallon.

crimzy

Originally Posted by premilove
http:///forum/post/2868253
whats the smallest tank a shark can go in?
I'd think that a single coral cat could live it's entire lifespan in a 72" x 24" (180 gallon tank). It's obviously not ideal as we are talking about bare minimums here but I think it would survive.

krj-1168

There seems to be some debate as to the bare minimum based on published books.
While "Aquarium Sharks & Rays" states the bare minimum for benthic species of sharks -such as Bamboos, Eppies, Horns, Coral catsharks, wobbegongs & Nurse sharks - is the tank/pond needs to have a length at least 2-2.5 times the shark's maximum length. And a width that at least 75% of the shark's maximum length. So a Coral Catshark(max of 27") - would need a tank that's at least 60" long x 20" wide. Which suggests a tank of only 110-125 gallons.
On the other hand "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" lists the minimum dimensions for any benthic shark - as a length of 4 times the shark's max. length. And a tank width that is at least 2 times the shark's max. length. So a Coral Catshark - would need a tank at least 9 ft long x 4.5 ft wide. Which suggests a tank of 600 gallons or more.
The average of these two would be approximately a tank that is 7 ft long x 3 ft wide, and roughly 315 gallons. Which personally I would consider much closer to the absolute bare minimum for a single adult coral catshark.

madwabbit23

I've had a bamboo cat and a nurse in individual tanks of 125 and 150g, and I sold them within their first year because they outgrew their swimming room and could barely turn around in the tank.
While they could physically survive in there, it didnt mean it was the right thing to do to them...just my two cents.
250-300 sounds accurate in my opinion as a bare min.

patrick8929

come on people pics!!! and this forum is for anyone to ask quesions on post pics but lets see large aggressive tanks with sharks!!!!!

krj-1168

Actually the best way(for a private aquarist) to keep sharks is in a pond, not in a tank.
Still there are a few people on this board that have some nice photos of shark tanks & ponds.

patrick8929

Originally Posted by krj-1168
http:///forum/post/2873242
Actually the best way(for a private aquarist) to keep sharks is in a pond, not in a tank.
Still there are a few people on this board that have some nice photos of shark tanks & ponds.
i agree! so any one with shark tanks and or ponds?

kmart189

nice shark pond that thing must take a lot of salt 3000 gallons how do you even buy your salt? Just curious. my tank wouldn't even cover the 300 gallon water change doing a 10%
Nice.