shark tank

schulace12

i was goin to get a 125, but the guy sold the tank before i could tell him i wanted it.
so i asked my dad if he could help me build a plywood tank, with a glass front and he said he would. i will get pics up as soon as we start ( may not be for a couple of weeks)
i was thinkin of makin a tnak that is 5 or 6 feet, by 3 feet, u guys think that would work for a whitespotted bamboo shark, or a coral catshark? thanks alot guys,chris

mitzel

I would go a bit longer maybe around 8 feet long and 3 wide. a little extra room to stretch the fins out and swim a bit.

cartman101

Originally Posted by mitzel
I would go a bit longer maybe around 8 feet long and 3 wide. a little extra room to stretch the fins out and swim a bit.
thats what i told him to. Schulace if its possible go a little longer. But i still think one shark will do good in that size of tank, just my .02

schulace12

Originally Posted by Cartman101
thats what i told him to. Schulace if its possible go a little longer. But i still think one shark will do good in that size of tank, just my .02

haha u did?
i dont think i can go longer to much $$$

cartman101

Originally Posted by schulace12
haha u did?
i dont think i can go longer to much $$$
yeah on AIM. But i still think you can pull it off

mitzel

dude you could totally pull of the extra two feet. plywood comes in 8'x4' sheets so you wouldn't have to buy any extra sheets of plywood , you would just be using the whole sheet. Unless you are only making you tank 6 feet long and then using the left over piece to make you sides . in that case you could make a 6'long 4'wide 2' deep. that would be killer for a shark tank.
CARTMAN do you know the formula to figure out gallons per square foot? 48sq feet of water minus sand and rock would still be a super killer tank.
a coral cat shark would be totally cool in that big of a beast. you could maybe even do a few rays or a second shark if you wanted too.

schulace12

ya but it would be so much mroe money, cause more glass, more sand, more rock, bigger skimmer, more filteration, u get the point ha

cartman101

very true, more money. No i dont know the formula but if you go to r**fc*ntral.com there is a caculater that can do it for you same with how much sand and rocks you need.
* take out the * and add a E

mitzel

cool .
So roughly at 6'x3'x2' your talkin a 260 gallon tank minus sand and rocks. thats most definatly going to work for a single bamboo.
Are you thinking of adding a ray too? they are super sweet additions .

cartman101

Originally Posted by mitzel
that would be a killer agresive tank with a shark ray and eel.

It would! but he is scared of eels......petrified by them

schulace12

i am not afrad of them, i just dislike them, they are just not appleaing to me, and it would freak me out to put my hand in the tank with a 4 foot one.

fishntx

im just curios what would you use for inside lining of the plywood and what would you seal it with? also i think you can get buy with a bigger tank and get by with not spending more money. like using half live and half base rock, half aragonite and half live sand. you can get used filters skimmers etc. you could even diy filtration to and save a lot. just a thought and good luck