Shark

sean spendley

Ok now that I got your attention lol, I had a few questions....
I have kept freshwater for years, all types of cichlids and communty fish and have just never felt the need to have saltwater. Well now I have split up my breeding oscars, and have a 180 gallon to spare. I have been gradually looking into saltwater and im hooked, not only do i want the 180 to be salt, but im going to drop in a 340 eventually! And I dont even have any sw fish yet. Now that your saying who is this nut, I wanted to ask my questions
1) for the 180 would this be ok as far as aggression, a niger trigger snowflake moray bamboo shark or horn shark (or not and!)remember i am upgrading to a 340, which will be speciallyt built for a LOT of surface area....and i will figure out what else i want to add later, but how long would the listed fish be ok in the 180 and would i have any problems with aggression?
2)FILTRATION! I have a fluval 404 and a magnum pro system on here leftover from freshwater, what else should i add that wont cost me an arm and a leg
Any help would be appreciated i have many more questions but wont add them all at once.....

bubbagump

hey sean,
about your oscars do you ever feed them feeders? and i have three oscars and would like them to breed. do you got any tips on how to get them to breed?

sharker

About the fish part the niger trigg. cant go with the bannded catshark.The trigger will eventually eat the cartellage off the shark.

fallen04

i have a 240 with an atlantic nurse. She is about 7 months old. She is in with a small nia trigger and a full grown snowflake eel. I added a miniatus and a yellow tang and they all get along wonderfully. I think its all a crap shoot and you luck out or you dont as far as your fish all getting along.

sean spendley

hey,
i didnt feed my oscars feeders till i wanted them to breed.....then i got some feeders, set up a nice quarentine tank and got them nice, healthy and full of vita-chem. I had my ph right at 6.9 and they did it themselves. Easiest way is just to let them pair off, they dont need too much coaxing and i doubt you would need feeders to get them into "the mood" This is what i would do, i thought i could have two pairs in the 180 but the aggression of the pairs during breeding was really bad, so i got the one pair a 90 gal and sold the other two to a friend. so i would just get a nice size tank, get the water quality perfect and feed them a LOT of different foods. Bloodworms, brineshrimp, beefheart, krill....well, they're oscars so basically anything. and just let them go.....they arent hard breeders ;)
Sorry about the freshwater talk in here...back to my original question ;)
Yeah I know about the triggers, i just figured since i heard the nigers were the least aggressive trigger it wouldnt be too bad. But its ok, I don't care too much about the trigger....and after i move the other guys into the 340 I can put a clown in the 180 or something :) But how about the snowflake, bamboo and lionfish.....do u guys see any problem with that in the 180 for like a year? It could be a little longer than that, but just give me an honest opinion. How about the filtration.....the sw filtration is so much more complicated than fresh, and I want to get it right. Thanks a lot for any advice, even if you tell me what I dont want to hear I respect the fact that I can't have everything ;)

novice150

As far as the bamboo, lion, and snowflake in the 180. I'd say go for it. As long as you dont buy a full grown bamboo, you'll be fine for a year. The 300 sounds great to me for this combo, and more.
But! Your filtration needs serious help. I would suggest a bad @@@ skimmer, and some kind of wet dry for gas exchange. I am sure somone can elaborate/correct this though.