sharks

michellej

I currently have a 75 gal sw fo tank it has been doing great the past few years so I have now decided to get rid of my fw fish in my 125gal tank so I can convert it over to a sw tank. I want to get two sharks but I have done lots of research and now I want some input on what kinds of other fish you can have with them, what actually works on food to feed the sharks, is sand best, and anyother helpful info you can give me.

darth tang

To be honest with, a 125 is a bit small to be housing sharks and you will need to upgrade the tank in a short timr frame to a 180 minimum.
You could keep rays with them, and a copuple other aagressive fish. Take a look in thge aggressive fish forum for compatible tankmates based off of what others are keeping. However sharks are one of the more dificult species to keep.

J

jcrim

A shark should definitely have sand substrate. With anything rougher, they may scrape themselves and cause abrasions and infections.
If you are going to put a shark in a 125, it should not be a free swimmer like a leopard or smothound. You could try a small catshark or bamboo because they are less active and healthier in limited space.
As for aquascaping, you will want to have enough liverock to create caves and tunnels, but the shark will also need some free space.
Tankmates must be docile enough that they will not nip at the inactive shark's fins but aggressive enough to defend itself. Opinions will vary on this. I think tangs, groupers, lions are good tankmates. They can also be ok with some eels. Should not go with any triggers, angels, wrasses or puffers.
I actually think some sharks and rays are relatively hardy. They are sensitive to copper and high nitrates but these problems can generally be avoided.

angelsrock

he should not get sharks at all. a 125 is too small for even 1 shark. you need a minimum of a 180 to house 1 shark. please get something else.

J

jcrim

I disagree somewhat. I think that a 125 can provide a temporary home for a baby bottom dweller. Temporary, meaning that 18 mo's to 2 yrs can provide an incredibly fulfilling experience. As long as it is understood that this tank is not permanent, it can be done with excellent results for some time.
As an aside, I think it is somewhat simplistic to recommend a minimum size tank without addressing the dimensions. I've heard 180 gallons mentioned but the reality is that there are 180 gallons that have the same length and width as a 125. As we all know sharks generally don't swim vertically. The surface area is actually more significant than volume. Just my opinion.

moraymike

Originally Posted by michellej
I currently have a 75 gal sw fo tank it has been doing great the past few years so I have now decided to get rid of my fw fish in my 125gal tank so I can convert it over to a sw tank. I want to get two sharks but I have done lots of research and now I want some input on what kinds of other fish you can have with them, what actually works on food to feed the sharks, is sand best, and anyother helpful info you can give me.

Sharks in a 125? Better look out... the shark police will get you for that (of course you've cought them off guard by posting here). Throw in a Moorish Idol and you might as well plan on fleeing the country

Okay, IMO (and I do have 15+ years of shark keeping experience) you should hang in the aggressive forum for some help (do a few searches and definitely buy Scott Micheal's book before you purchase a shark). Yes, you can keep some species of sharks in 125 for a short time... Don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done cuz the reality of it is that it can. A newly hatched bamboo will do well in a tank that size for a while. HOWEVER, it really would be a better idea to go with a 180 gallon or larger system if you want to keep sharks or rays (that's really still on the small side). Do some research and go from there... Best wishes and good luck!

moraymike

Originally Posted by jcrim
I disagree somewhat. I think that a 125 can provide a temporary home for a baby bottom dweller. Temporary, meaning that 18 mo's to 2 yrs can provide an incredibly fulfilling experience. As long as it is understood that this tank is not permanent, it can be done with excellent results for some time.
As an aside, I think it is somewhat simplistic to recommend a minimum size tank without addressing the dimensions. I've heard 180 gallons mentioned but the reality is that there are 180 gallons that have the same length and width as a 125. As we all know sharks generally don't swim vertically. The surface area is actually more significant than volume. Just my opinion.
This guy knows what he's talking about :yes:

E

exile415

:yes:
Originally Posted by MorayMike
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: i agree

angelsrock

Originally Posted by MorayMike
what i don't get,imo, if you don't plan on getting a bigger tank(maybe he does i don' tknow) why bother getting one or 2 for that matter if you don't plan on keeping them for their lifespan. of course he could put them in there for a short time, but what's the point :thinking:

J

jcrim

I actually think that if someone has any fish for a year and a half to two years, it is a success even if it has to go after that. As much as everybody on this board generally assumes that a fish will live its full life span in our aquariums, what do you think is the average for any captive fish? 6 months maybe? I appreciate the idealism that everyone on this board will maintain their fish for 10-15 years. Truly, though, how many of our fish actually die of old age... almost none. The reality IMO is that if you can support a healthy animal and give it up when the appropriate time comes, it can be very satisfying. The only thing to lose is a little money but even that affects everyone differently.

angelsrock

I actually think that if someone has any fish for a year and a half to two years, it is a success even if it has to go after that. As much as everybody on this board generally assumes that a fish will live its full life span in our aquariums, what do you think is the average for any captive fish? 6 months maybe? I appreciate the idealism that everyone on this board will maintain their fish for 10-15 years. Truly, though, how many of our fish actually die of old age... almost none. The reality IMO is that if you can support a healthy animal and give it up when the appropriate time comes, it can be very satisfying. The only thing to lose is a little money but even that affects everyone differently.

that is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard of if the fish you purchase you lose interest within 6months. these aren't play things, these are live animals that deserve the respect of their owners. if you can't keep a fish for any longer than 6 months then i feel sorry for you and every fish you've owned. i have the exact same fish i've had for 2 years and i plan on having them a lot longer with a couple i've added within the last couple months. no effense but grow up... if you can't keep a fish alive for an extended period of time then you are doing something wrong and you need to figure out what that is and fix it.:mad:

J

jcrim

Originally Posted by angelsrock
that is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard of if the fish you purchase you lose interest within 6months. these aren't play things, these are live animals that deserve the respect of their owners. if you can't keep a fish for any longer than 6 months then i feel sorry for you and every fish you've owned.
There must be some miscommunication... did you really read the post your responding to??? I was referring to the average lifespan for a captive marine fish. Since you are wondering, I have not lost a fish in years. I give you credit if you can also keep a stable system, but I'm sure you have had successes and failures just like everyone else. In the future, read a little more carefully before you respond.

J

jcrim

well then one way would be to have a proper setup for a shark and that includes proper size tanks

Well who could argue with that??? With those powers of stating obvious, nonspecific, politically-correct rhetoric, you should write presidential campaign speeches. I can see it now, "Education is important. Terrorism is bad. Health care is necessary." (Any similarities to Bush's 2004 campaign speeches is purely coincidental.) LOL
I thought this was going to be an intelligent discussion. Maybe you could address specific species, (you are aware that there are different species of sharks with different needs, right?) and success or failure with various systems. Unfortunately, your last post shows that you cannot do this based on actual experience. Until that's possible, I guess you should just regurgitate some basic principles about your knowlege. You may respond with arguments such as, "fish need water..." or "fish should be happy..."
If this is going to be the quality of the discussion then I will have to end the discussion with the classic retort, (hands over ears) "La, la, la... I'm not listening to you, la, la, la."

moraymike

that is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard of if the fish you purchase you lose interest within 6months. these aren't play things, these are live animals that deserve the respect of their owners. if you can't keep a fish for any longer than 6 months then i feel sorry for you and every fish you've owned. i have the exact same fish i've had for 2 years and i plan on having them a lot longer with a couple i've added within the last couple months. no effense but grow up... if you can't keep a fish alive for an extended period of time then you are doing something wrong and you need to figure out what that is and fix it.:mad:

Huh? There's nothing to argue here. jcrim knows what's he's doing. He does his homework, takes care of his fish, and doesn't try to take the cheap and easy way out. So, what exactly is your point? :notsure: or do you not have one? :notsure:

aspen

okay well I decided not to do a shark. Afterall I have had most of my freshwater fish for 10 years and I plan on keeping them till they die. I dont want to buy a shark and then have to get rid of it. So any suggestions on what you would put in a 125?

ophiura

The reality IMO is that if you can support a healthy animal and give it up when the appropriate time comes, it can be very satisfying. The only thing to lose is a little money but even that affects everyone differently.

I would agree that a 125 would be fine for perhaps 2 years for a bamboo shark.
But I do not always think it best for people to knowingly buy things that they can't keep long term with the assumption that they can always find a way to get rid of it. I think that is where things get sketchy. So if you understand when you but something that it will go somewhere else, and can, at a minimum, agree with the LFS to take it back then that is something to pursue. But there are a few too many people who buy things with some vague idea that they can trade it in to the local aquarium or something, or release it somewhere, or just hold onto it longer. I know the LAST thing we needed were more bamboo sharks. LOL. Rabbits. Anyway, that can be a bit worrisome, IMO, and perhaps what angelsrock may have been considering. It is the "stay within your limits" approach and its a valid philosophy.

ophiura

Originally Posted by aspen
okay well I decided not to do a shark. Afterall I have had most of my freshwater fish for 10 years and I plan on keeping them till they die. I dont want to buy a shark and then have to get rid of it. So any suggestions on what you would put in a 125?
Since you've decided against the shark, your best bet may be to post another thread on it :yes: for more input.

angelsrock

Originally Posted by aspen
good choice

guineawhop

Well who could argue with that??? With those powers of stating obvious, nonspecific, politically-correct rhetoric, you should write presidential campaign speeches. I can see it now, "Education is important. Terrorism is bad. Health care is necessary." (Any similarities to Bush's 2004 campaign speeches is purely coincidental.) LOL
I thought this was going to be an intelligent discussion. Maybe you could address specific species, (you are aware that there are different species of sharks with different needs, right?) and success or failure with various systems. Unfortunately, your last post shows that you cannot do this based on actual experience. Until that's possible, I guess you should just regurgitate some basic principles about your knowlege. You may respond with arguments such as, "fish need water..." or "fish should be happy..."
If this is going to be the quality of the discussion then I will have to end the discussion with the classic retort, (hands over ears) "La, la, la... I'm not listening to you, la, la, la."

he did show you an arguement and you chose to pretty much ignore everything he said. how old are you anyway 10? you should also not critisize someone that cares about the well being of a fish. if you can't keep a fish alive for more than 6 months maybe you should take your fish back to the store and get a freshwater tank because that's probably where you belong. also what's the point of gettin a fish if you plan on getting rid of it in the near future.