Shaving Brush Plants

moonshadow

I just received some shaving brush plants yesterday from Saltwaterfish.com. I temperature acclimated them for about a half an hour before putting them in the tank. I have metal halide lighting and placed them in a well lit area. This morning they all look a pale green, almost white. Is this normal from shipping? Or are do they die back for awhile?

maxsmart

Originally Posted by Moonshadow
http:///forum/post/3042357
I just received some shaving brush plants yesterday from Saltwaterfish.com. I temperature acclimated them for about a half an hour before putting them in the tank. I have metal halide lighting and placed them in a well lit area. This morning they all look a pale green, almost white. Is this normal from shipping? Or are do they die back for awhile?
I had a similar experience. Mine smelled TERRIBLE when I got them. (you could smell them through the bag!) Three of them died and disintegrated quickly. One is doing OK - its color returned after about a week (and that one's in the hospital tank with awful lighting). Another in the display tank survived, but it's got mixed white and green bristles. One of the pieces of one of the disintegrated ones actually looks like it's sprouting into a new plant - it turned green and appears to be growing. Keep an eye out for green pieces and plant them!

moonshadow

I know what you mean. They smelled pretty bad when I opened the bag, but none have disintegrated yet. They all seem to be holding together and the stalks are still a light green. Maybe there is some hope for them yet. It has only been a day so maybe they will snap out of it.

nycbob

they do turn white in the morning. the color will come back when the light goes back on.

maxsmart

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3042876
they do turn white in the morning. the color will come back when the light goes back on.
Mine is like that all the time. About half the bristles are white, half are faint green. The fact the base is still intact and it hasn't disolved leads me to believe it's OK, but it definitely isn't healthy looking - I expected it to be solid green. The shoot that is growing from a disintegrated bit of another brush plant is VERY green, and it's in the tank with poor lighting.