shaving brush

fishnerd

Shaving Brush (Penicillus sp.) are highly calcerous, much like Halimeda sp. of macroalgae.
Most tangs do not eat halimeda, presumeably due to the taste and texture. I am not discrediting USINKIT, but I would be tempted to disagree.
Here comes "Mr. More Than You Need To Know Man"...
Shaving brush has a life cycle of 30-35 days. It will appear as though it is dying, by bleaching out and disintegrating, but are actually multiplying. They will grow very similarly to fungi vs. a typical plant. The Penicillus will shed its "limbs" and those will re-appear in concentric rings a week or two as a whole new colony.
Don't ask how I remembered something like that, but can't find my car in a parking lot.::confused:

cody57

thanks mr.fishnerd!! now here comes "mr. need to know more" are there any other plants that would do well in my "ocean wannabe"?

fishnerd

Assuming you have proper lighting- I would go with Sea Grapes (Caulerpa racemosa). I must say that the Hippo will probably go after them though.
Halimeda sp. are also hardy, and very few fish will bother them.

cody57

i was just shopping at this site and discovered leather and mushroom corals. they said they were east care level and medium light. would these cause any harm to my fish?