sheet music

ross

I'm learning how to play the guitar and cant find any free sheet music...particularly looking for the sone 'Days go By' By Keith Urban

tangman99

I'm not sure of free music, but you can find it. I have classical sheet music for guitar. From what I understand, it is different that sheet music for piano.
Sorry I can't be more help, but I at least wanted to give you bump back to the top.

nas19320

If you want tabs, try power tab editor. Its a free download program and then you can download different songs. Its a pretty cool program.

someone400

Great sites, thanks guys.
What kind of guitar to you guys play? I have a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold face made somewhere between ’73 and ’75. (I sent the serial number in to try to find out the date it was made but they told me that the serial numbers were used out of sequence so they could not give me an exact date. ) I also have a pretty standard Yamaha acoustic (I can’t remember the model number off hand) that bought back in college in ’83.
:)

nas19320

I play a Fender Toranado, guitar playing is one of my less concentrated on hobbies but I still enjoy playing when I get the time.

fishy411

sheet music. Whats a tab? i probly sound like a moron right now. I really wanted to learn how to play the white stripes song.

fishaholic

Originally posted by fishy411
Anyone know any free music sites that have new songs instead of classical or traditional.

The site i listed above. I have to say nas that the power tab editor is an awesome learning tool. I play mainly lead guitar and a lot of lead in songs are left out in tab. Tabs kinda leave you out there on the rythm of the song a lot of the time. Unless you memorize the song in your head, which is what i usually do. Power tab editor is a must for guys that are just begining to play.
I play an ESP Kirk Hammet 502. I have an Ovation celeb acoustic as well. I also have my old Peavy preadator.
I am mainly into metal and rock. I was jamming out some White Rabbit the other day after playing Battlefield Vietanam. (for those that play that game it is the song in the menu)
For the person that asked what is a tab. It tells you where to put your fingers on the strings based on Numbers.It counts starting from fret one and so on.
Then there is sheet music that gives you notes on a sheet, that you have to know where they are on the fretboard.
Sheet music is way better to learn because you also know how long to hold a note. But takes way more learning in the begining.
:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

tangman99

I play an Alvarez Yairi CY-95 Classical. It is a beautiful instrument. I also have an ovation 12 string and a Jackson Electric.
I learned to play using tab and played that way for 20 years. I wanted to learn how to play from sheetmusic, so I started over playing Classical music. I've been playing now for around 9 months. It is much more difficult to play from sheetmusic, but it gives you so much more information. I was also amazed how much more difficult playing classical is than playing rock guitar. I never had to use my right hand before except to hold a pick and the occassional fret tapping.

nas19320

I've mostly used tabs to play and I do understand that they limit me a great deal, but where do I start to learn how to read sheet music? Any suggestions on a good piece to start with? I understand the basics of music but I need something that is not going to overwhelm me.

jacknjill

nas, you could get a book and learn how to read music. there are som pretty beginners books out there that are a big help.

tangman99

Originally posted by Nas19320
I've mostly used tabs to play and I do understand that they limit me a great deal, but where do I start to learn how to read sheet music? Any suggestions on a good piece to start with? I understand the basics of music but I need something that is not going to overwhelm me.

You could use books, but the best way is to get a good instructor and take lessons. It really takes an instructor to demonstrate and help you learn how to transform what's on the paper into sound.