Shells shifting

saltfinsax

I got a Derasa from a trade about a 3 weeks ago and it has been looking better every day. But in that last few day I have niticed his shells starting to shift so that they don't line up right and he can't close all the way.
I have inspected it for snails on the bottem and for holes from a fungis I guess and havent seen any.
Any other things to check?
Dkh has been at 10
Cal 400
My Maxma is doing just fine as well as the other corals.

saltfinsax

Bright light havent came on yet, but you can see the shells are off left and right and has moved down fromeach other as well. His isent doing real well this morning as I messed with him late last night.
I am sure he isent going to last much longer with the shells doing this.

nycbob

from the pic, it isnt good. did something drop on it by chance? i dont see how the shell could be this misaligned unless something dramatic happened.

saltfinsax

Nothing had dropped on him. It has been getting farther off in the last 4 days all the way to what it is now. I had even picked him up after a couple days and was able to gently move them back and he closed up fine and was back open in five or ten min.
Then the more he opened and closed the farther off it would get.
I did notice some sand being blown down the intake just before this all started, but moved him a little to stop that. I would hate to think a little sand would do one in that fast.
I guess if it was the sand and it was bothering one side of the mussle and is makeing it pull uneven. But i thought Derasa's would be able to handle some sand being thats where they stay most the time.

nycbob

sand wouldnt cause the shell to shift. mine gets sand on it all the time. perhaps it was an unhealthy clam.

saltfinsax

Well thigs are starting to look better for the guy. I would try and move the shells back before the lights went out so he would least stand a little bit of chance at closeing and keeping stuff out. Today it seems the shells are starting to move back.

candycane

The hinge may be rotting away due to a certain infection. I have noticed that this infection is usually more prominant in Derasa Clams; NO IDEA why though.
Even though the shell is starting to look better, keep the board posted. There are a couple of methods to fix it; at least temporarily.