Sheree need assist please

joker

Wife has a sea horse, forget which type. LFS said it was aquacultured, but we are definitely sure it was wild caught. 2 weeks ago, she bought a new yellow seahorse from another LFS, and it was fine for 1.5 weeks. suddenly, the new horse started swimming erratically, and started rubbing against a piece of LR. we noticed what appeared to be redness inside its head. It died on Sunday. Now today, I am seeing what appeaers to be white filaments developing on the established horses head and body. It is showing signs of stress. I tried taking a pic, but the filaments are not showing. I will take more pics and attach.
I realize you are no expert, but you are for your knowledge and experience.
TIA
Joker
:(

kelly

Joker,
You could have more than one problem, the erratic swimming could have been caused by a gas bubble that forms just beneath the seahorse's skin, they normally appear on the head, but can also appear on other parts of the body.
Another diseases that affect the seahorse is fin rot, the most apparent area being the dorsal fin. This is easily noticed by by a fine white line along the edge of the fin.
White spot disease (caused by the micorsporidian parasite). The white spots are actually cysts filled with spores. This disease, called Glugea is normally fatal, and it is recommended that you isolate the infected seahorse asap.
There is also saltwater ich, the 1st signs are tiny spots easily seen on the transparent dorsal fin. This protozoan acts as a gill irratand and breaks down the seahorse's skin. It reproduces rapidly, and causes respitatory problems, where as your seahorse will have problems breathing.
The problem that you have sounds like a fungus. Unlike Glugea, it has a fuzzy cottonlike appearancce. It normally takes hold where an injury has occured. It can be treated by brushing it with a cotton swab dipped in Merthiolate, and then coating the area wht a paste made of sulfathiozole sodium mixed caster oil. Isolation is not needed, but it should be treated daily until the fungus is gone. The fungus can also appear as a soft spor filled with pus.
If there is a lot of fungus, not from a localized injury, it could have been caused by the seahorse getting chilled. The best way to treat it is to raise the water temp to 85 -90 for most of the day (be sure to increase areation too) and repeat this for several days in a row. It is also a good idea to add 1 teaspoon of sulfathiazole sodium per 5 gallons of water if possible.
There are also other parasitic diseases which attack seahorses such as Argulus. These small flat-bodied parasites appear as semi-transparent bumps, ranging in size from 1/16 to 1/4 inch on the seahorse's head or neck.
Stress and water quality can play a major factor on how the seahorse is affected by these parasites and fungi. I hope the information that I provide gives you a little insite in to your problem.
The majority of the information from this post was from "A step-by-step book about swahorses" by Peter Giwojna copyright 1990. Being the information is about 13 years old, and ton of new information may be available on the web, it may a good idea to research the treatments here before using them.
You could try seahorse.org, or do a search on you favorite search engine for seahorses + disease or seahorses + fungus.
Best wishes with you seahorses...

joker

Kelly, thanks for the reply. My wife just posted on Seahorse.org on the medical board there.
She is going to get Melafix in the am. Also, as we were reading there, we noticed everyone had low 70's temp. Her temp is even 80, so we are dropping the temp down over the next several hours to 75, and see what happens.
The only sign of stress is the rapid breathing. She swims, hunts, snicks, and hitches as usual.

sheree

All of the advice above sounds good...stress is the quickest way a seahorses` health declines. If this appears to be bacteria on the surface of its body..I have never failed by using a Q-tip with betadine to clear off bacteria. I have used it on the eye of my Niger trigger as it had 1 eye clouded over when I bought him. His eye is now perfect. I have used it on open wounds on Koi with great results.Just rub the infected area lightly with betadine.
Air bubbles(saks) are a danger for seahorses..they usually dont recover.
Also,,when water quaility is poor,,a seahorse will swim with its tail bent at weird angles(sounds crazy I know).Do a water change if this is possibly the case.
HTH...keep us posted

joker

we will try the betadine qtip as you suggest, also will apply Melafix.
Thank you for your speedy reply
Joker
:)

joker

ok just was working with the digi camera and got some good shots. had to adjust the brightness alittle, but I think you can see them better now.
pic 1

joker

sorry
I really need sheree to see the clear pics.
Wife is a member of seahorse.org, and they dont even know what it is