Shipping cost????

ifirefight

What the average price you guys pay to ship a frag??? And do you lie to the carrier or tell them whats in it. I went to the post office today,and lied,they said 18$ to overnight, then changed there mind and said it could not be shipped overnight to the location I was sending it to. So I went to UPS (didnt tell what was in box either) they would be happy to overnight it for the low,low price of $53.00
I couldnt find a Fed ex.... Just wondered what everybody else was paying. ***)

myreef05

There is no reason to lie to them about what the contents are. Obviously they can hear water sloshing around. Why lie???? Contents does not make the rate change..

renogaw

USPS will be about $18 to $23 depending on weight. You actually HAVE to tell them what is in the box. They won't deliver a wet box unless it says it had liquid in it. I just told them today that there is salt water in sealed containers, they put a little fragile sticker on it, wrote on the box "liquid", and said ok, thanks.
Fed/Ex and UPS are ripoffs for next day air.

ifirefight

renogaw You actually HAVE to tell them what is in the box. [/QUOTE said:
All they asked me was " is there anything fragile,liquid,or perishable ".... I said NO
They would have shipped it...they never actually asked what was in the box....UPS did ask...I was generic and said saltwater fish "supplies".

fishfryer

if you do 2nd day priority mail in small box cost under $10.oo and just say yes to fragil and liguid. mark box fragile.

viper_930

IME USPS is unreliable and I never use it when I sell corals unless the buyer requests so. When I do use them I make sure the buyer knows I will not be responsible for anything once the box is out of my hands. At least half the time I use USPS "express" it arrives a day late. I wouldn't mind using this courier as much if I only ship out simple soft corals, but I've never shipped a box with just softies.
I usually go with Fedex priority overnight. This way suually costs between $30-50, sometimes a little more. It's totally worth the better service IMO, especially when the box has $300+ of coral frags in it. I use my fedex online acount to get 15% off and I can print my own shipping labels.

chadman

usps will not ship coral/water...it is against there rules and regulations....whenever i ship and they ask if it is water etc etc i just say no...i have never been able to hear water sloshing around in the box...but 18-23 for a frag shipped is pretty much the going rate....

myreef05

Originally Posted by chadman
usps will not ship coral/water...it is against there rules and regulations....whenever i ship and they ask if it is water etc etc i just say no...i have never been able to hear water sloshing around in the box...but 18-23 for a frag shipped is pretty much the going rate....
Maybe it is because I live in a small town, but the post master KNOWS what I ship and he has no problem with it at all. :thinking: :notsure:

prevwon

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
IME USPS is unreliable...
I agree, USPS is very unreliable...I've had some bad experiences with them. Some things that are supposed to be 2-3 day priority took up to 3 weeks...and other things that I sent priority took longer to get there than regular mail....I wouldn't use them if I were you.

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by chadman
I have been using USPS since January. I tell them it is salt water. They don't even give me a weird look. I guess since I have salt water 15 miles from my house they might get other people shipping stuff from the Gulf everywhere. Sometimes the box I have has been used by someone else and it is written "perishable". I did tell them once that it is since it is coral. Again, they probably get it a lot. My prices have ranged from $4.20 to $12.40. I pay 50 cents for the delivery confirmation. UPS is more money for me here.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Tiberius
I have been using USPS since January. I tell them it is salt water. They don't even give me a weird look. I guess since I have salt water 15 miles from my house they might get other people shipping stuff from the Gulf everywhere. Sometimes the box I have has been used by someone else and it is written "perishable". I did tell them once that it is since it is coral. Again, they probably get it a lot. My prices have ranged from $4.20 to $12.40. I pay 50 cents for the delivery confirmation. UPS is more money for me here.
tiberius: they have a flat rate priority box behind the counter for $8, no matter the weight. You may want to look at those if the cost is going to be more than that.

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by renogaw
tiberius: they have a flat rate priority box behind the counter for $8, no matter the weight. You may want to look at those if the cost is going to be more than that.
But, if the box is that rectangular shape then I wouldn't be able to fit a thermos in it. When summer comes for the northern folks then it won't matter anymore since I can use littler boxes and get it shipped for less then $8.00. Unless I am missing something here.