Shipping Fish Advice!

B

bildotang

A friend of mine has decided to move from California to Alabama, and since the drive will be several days, we've decided to put his fish in my tank and I will ship them to him once he gets back (and his tank is setup).
His fish are the following:
Cinnamon Clown - 3"
Koran Angel - 3"
Purple Tang - 4"
Sailfin - 4"
Foxface - 4"
Snowflake Eel - 18"
Grouper - 8"
Porc. Puffer - 5"
Brittle Star - 9" Spread out
How should I ship them? Obivously "over-night" delivery, but what kind of packages? Plastic bags inside of boxes? Rubbermaid? How much water? A bag for each fish? And how much water each? What about food?
I don't want to mess anything up for my buddy, so your help is most appreciated!

elfdoctors

I am describing how saltwaterfish.com ships their fish. I assume this would work for you.
Use an insulated styrofoam box inside a cardboard box.
Double bag the fish in plastic bags. Fill them about 2/3 full. 1 bag for each fish. Make sure they are not too cramped. Larger amounts of water are safer but will increase your shipping charges.
Put all the bags in another plastic garbage bag and close this.
Use a heat pack or cold pack if needed.
Get them to Fed Ex as close to the shipping time as possible.
Try to pick them up at Fed Ex (instead of waiting for home delivery).

gbpack

Good luck. When companies ship fish they add pure O2 to the bags to aid in the survival. You will not have this to use. He would be better off taking them on the move in rubbermaid containers. Shipping will not gurantee any survival. I have moved mine ove two days drive and kept them in containers for 10 to 15 days until my tanks were ready. I have almost 100% survival. You will need battery operated air pumps from your LFS or Wallmart. It would be best to take as much water as possible. If he can buy a new 55 gallon drum to transport the water. Do a search for the drum. There was a post similar to this a few days ago.

donmgicwon

Originally posted by gbpack
That would get you the O2. Just keeping it in the bag will be the trick.

Heat seal and double bag as mentioned above.

B

bildotang

I can't keep the fish, since I'm trying to do a reef tank. But I will try to convince him of taking the fish on the move. If not, then it is what it is. I'll bag up the fish nice and tight, and we'll see what happens. Thanks for all the advice.:)