shipping livestock from mexico

davebrace5533

hey i am traveling to mexico soon.(akumal to be exact) and was wondering if anyone has any experience in shipping livestock from mexico to the us. I am not really worried about the legalities of this, if customs does catch it coming into the us they simply mail you a letter stating that a shipment coming to you had an illegal item and that item has been confiscated. So has anyone done this and if so what things have you sent or what items would do the best being shipped. These items will not be going into my actual tank, i have a 125 set up just for this.

dragonzim

Somehow I dont think you are going to find anyone here that will tell you how to do something blatantly illegal. Its people like you that give conscientious aquarists a bad name.

reefraff

Originally Posted by davebrace5533
http:///forum/post/3195814
hey i am traveling to mexico soon.(akumal to be exact) and was wondering if anyone has any experience in shipping livestock from mexico to the us. I am not really worried about the legalities of this, if customs does catch it coming into the us they simply mail you a letter stating that a shipment coming to you had an illegal item and that item has been confiscated. So has anyone done this and if so what things have you sent or what items would do the best being shipped. These items will not be going into my actual tank, i have a 125 set up just for this.
Judging by your location name you are in the military and want to take a chance of having a customs beef? Even assuming it wasn't flagged by customs trying to keep it alive after going through the customs process would be precarious at best.

davebrace5533

lol no im no longer in the military, i just haven't edited my account in like 3 years. as for the "responsible aquarist" comment, where do you think you local stores get thier livestock from? it comes from some wild reef and was shipped via ground(not overnited) to wherever the wholesaler is then shipped again to the store. i am just cutting out the middlemen and even more shipping. I also have someone who is experienced to put them in the quarantine tank for me.
also, the only reason it is illegal is because the government says it is and i honestly have little time for the laws of men.

dragonzim

http:///forum/post/3195829
lol no im no longer in the military, i just haven't edited my account in like 3 years. as for the "responsible aquarist" comment, where do you think you local stores get thier livestock from? it comes from some wild reef and was shipped via ground(not overnited) to wherever the wholesaler is then shipped again to the store. i am just cutting out the middlemen and even more shipping. I also have someone who is experienced to put them in the quarantine tank for me.
Yes, but the difference is that our reputable suppliers do things legally and pay their customs and tariffs on them and dont generally black market items on their own. Plus, WHEN then items do get confiscated, what do you think is going to happen? Whatever you were trying to ship is going to die...

davebrace5533

the chances of it getting confiscated are minimal at best. it is the same way all those people in the medical marijuana states order pot seeds from online, the customs process is for the most part all automated.

reefraff

http:///forum/post/3195834
the chances of it getting confiscated are minimal at best. it is the same way all those people in the medical marijuana states order pot seeds from online, the customs process is for the most part all automated.

Yeah but pot seeds aren't perishable. The delay for customs work can take a long time. Plus you don't think the odds of having a box full of water isnt going to warrant a little extra attention? I would waste my time and money. Importers who are licensed etc. get the stuff right though. Best case scenario would be an extra couple days even assuming they don't open your box.

srfisher17

also, the only reason it is illegal is because the government says it is and i honestly have little time for the laws of men.
Thanks for no longer being in the military; dishonorable discharge, I assume?

dragonzim

By the way, that has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen posted here, and there have been some good ones!

bionicarm

Like others have said, unless you have a Customs broker that can expedite the box through Customs, the livestock will be dead by the time you get it 'up north'. That's why when you do order something from a 'reputible supplier', they can get it across the border and into a intermediary tank so the livestock can recuperate from the original shipment before sending it off to an individual like yourself.
Who is exactly would be receiving this shipment when it crosses the border? FedEx or UPS won't accept it. Even if you could get it through Customs in a day, it would still be at least one or two days more before getting to you. No way any livestock would live that long.
Do yourself a favor. If you really want to circumvent the 'middle man', take a trip down to the Florida coast like the Keys and catch your own livestock. You can't bring back corals, but there are a variety of fish and inverts you can catch and bring back home. There's a link somewhere on the Florida Fish and Game web site that describes which livestock and how much you can take on a daily basis.

davebrace5533

there is a fed ex in akumal, and cancun. both stores i have already talked to and yes they say they can overnite a package to my home.
actually though i will be in florida this summer so maybe ill get some there too lol.

bionicarm

http:///forum/post/3195897
there is a fed ex in akumal, and cancun. both stores i have already talked to and yes they say they can overnite a package to my home.
actually though i will be in florida this summer so maybe ill get some there too lol.
What 'stores'? I thought you were just going down to Mexico, pluck livestock out of the water, take it to some shipping place and have them 'smuggle' it over the border for you?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/3195862
By the way, that has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen posted here, and there have been some good ones!
I sure agree. I assume that's why He's no longer in our Military, thank God.

davebrace5533

yea actually i am no longer in the military because i was medically retired because i got blown the f** up so why dont you show a bit of respect. and yes those "stores," fed ex, will ship anything you want overnight from wherever you want in the world. there is no "smugling".
take it out of the water, box it up with some "fragile as glass" stamps and bring it to the fed ex store.

crypt keeper

Im inclined to believe fed ex doesnt have shops all over mexico. I dont care what somebody does. Everybody breaks the law and then points finger. I dont care what law you break. You break it you break it. But logistically it doesnt sound well like a sound idea. Its a good thought but I can only see issues. Not with customes but with the fish living long enough. You would have to ship them overnight then fly home the next day or have somebody at your house waiting for deilvery.
Shipping a fish is about as expensive to buy them. My local guy showed me how much fish for him cost. They are pennys. Its shipping cost that drive everything up. So you are risking a bunch of crap and the life of a fish for to save a few bucks. IMO thats dumb.

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3196310
yea actually i am no longer in the military because i was medically retired because i got blown the f** up so why dont you show a bit of respect. and yes those "stores," fed ex, will ship anything you want overnight from wherever you want in the world. there is no "smugling".
take it out of the water, box it up with some "fragile as glass" stamps and bring it to the fed ex store.
There is no group I respect more than our veterans; but most of us respect the law. We served to protect & preserve "man's law"; not promote anarchy.

bionicarm

I hate to burst your bubble, but you may want to look at the FedEx rates for shipping items from Mexico to US before attempting this endeavour. I just went to the Mexico FedEx site, and to ship a 10" X 10" X 10" box that weighs 5 lbs. through their International First Rate (which I assume is Priority Overnight) from Cancun, MX to San Antonio, TX, you're looking at 977.38 pesos, or around $100. Now I'm being conservative about the box size and weight. I'd assume you'd have to track down a styrofoam ice box and packaging in Mexico to transport these fish. That's at least another $10 - $20 US. To get it 'Up North', you probably should add another 20% to my cost for shipping it to TX. You also need the following documentation:
Important for Customs: To prevent delays, your shipment must have the following customs documents attached: Commercial Invoice, Certificate of Origin, Shippers Export Declaration
The only reason I'd see why you'd want to do this is if you're trying to bring back exotics that cost several hundred dollars in the US. Where exactly are you getting this livestock? Is there some 'fish store' down there you know of that sells livestock to the public like they do here? I've snorkeled and dived down in Mexico on several occassions, and I don't know of any of these 'tours' that allow you to bring back livestock from a trip. That's their bread and butter, and they don't want tourists taking their livelihood out of the ocean. So you'd have to hire a private charter or rent your own boat to get the fish in the first place. Then you'd have to find the right location to find the fish you want, and have the proper equipment to catch them without harming them. You'll need a live well that will hold the fish after you catch them. You'll also need an aerator or some device to supply air while you transport them from the beach to the FedEx store.
Also, I just looked up a Mexican Fishing License from one of these tourist sites. One line on the license reads, "It is illegal to capture and maintain alive any fish for ornamental purposes." So if you come back with this livestock, and they catch you at the dock with it, you'll at least incur a heavy fine, if not jail time. Believe me, you DON'T want to get put into a Mexican jail.

So I'm taking it you're going to some coastal Mexican resort with your family, and you think you'd could save money by catching your own fancy fish, and shipping them back home overnight to a buddy who has a tank to keep them for you until you get home. Well as you see by my examples, what it'll cost you to rent a private boat, avoid getting caught bringing them back to shore, then shipping them overnight with the possibility of the livestock not even surviving the trip, you're better off driving down to your LFS and picking the fish you want from there. Believe me, it'll be cheaper. But hey, it's your time and money. Give it a shot. But don't come crying here when you get back from you vacation, and tell us how you spent $600 to get 5 or 10 real fancy fish, only to find out they all died by the time they got to your home.

salt life

http:///forum/post/3196310
this is the wrong place to come if you want respect. most members here don't give any. and IMO it really is a bad idea. why go through the hassle and take the risk when there is a BIG chance that the fish WILL die and you can get in deep ---- for doing it.. just order stuff from offline when you get back or take some road trips to different fish stores in your area.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/3196576
this is the wrong place to come if you want respect. most members here don't give any. and IMO it really is a bad idea. why go through the hassle and take the risk when there is a BIG chance that the fish WILL die and you can get in deep ---- for doing it.. just order stuff from offline when you get back or take some road trips to different fish stores in your area.
Respect is earned and folks on this forum give plenty. When you claim not to follow the law ("Man's law"?) and ask for advice on how to break it; that's hardly the path to respect. But I still respect and appreciate any Veterans service. But that doesn't give any of us Veterans a lifetime pass to do as we please without consequences.