Shipping LR

garnet13aj

I just got an awesome deal on some beautiful LR. I paid $25 for 50 lbs cured! Anyway, I'm in Alaska and I'm thinking of shipping it back to Seattle where my tank is if it will be worth it costwise, otherwise I'll just resell it for a bit more. It will cost about $150 to ship it overnight but only $60 to ship it in 3 days. I think I already know the answer, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Does anybody think it'd still be "alive" after 3 days. Obviously it would no longer be cured, but do you think everything would die off if I wrapped everything in newspaper and left a bit of water at the bottom?

donald

If you have a tank established there you might put it in the tank for a little while to "revive" it and then ship it. Just an idea

garnet13aj

well, what I'm planning on doing is keeping it in a tub w/a powerhead and some saltwater until I ship it. So it will still be cured up until the day I ship it and then it will be going into an empty tank, so I just want to know if it will still be mostly alive after 3 days in a box w/some wet newspaper and a bit of water at the bottom...

myreef05

Even if it remains moist it will still have die off and will need to re-cured. If it is going into an empty tank to cycle it, watch the ammonia levels don't get past .25 or so or it will kill the beneficial bacteria.

garnet13aj

Okay. I should have made this thread a poll, but I didn't think of it at the time. I understand there will be die off and frequent water changes can be made to keep the ammonia down, I'm just wondering if it would "survive" overall, or will all the bacteria have died off by that time, in which case it would not be worth it to ship it over 3 days at all.

codylowe

You will be fine if you shipped it 3 day, assuming you pack it well. You WILL have die-off of course, but just cure it again like you said.
I suggest wrapping each piece with wet newspaper, a little extra water will be good also - it will absorb it in the transport.

codylowe

BTW, i had some rock shipped to me 2-day. It was pretty much dry when i got it. They only put newspaper on top of the rocks. After a few weeks of curing, the rock looks great.
Your shipping will be a lot better if you wrap the individual rocks.

garnet13aj

Awesome. I'm debating whether I'll do that or actually take it to the airport w/me and just pay an overweight charge...it depends on if someone's going to meet me at the airport or not. Either way I'm going to wrap it in some wet newspaper when I ship it.