Shocked from filter

jesshika

I touched the top of my aquaclear filter, right on top of the plastic part that pulls up the water and I got quite a large shock from it and it wasn't even wet or anything! I unplugged it and now I'm afraid to plug it in again and touch it. Why did this happen? And is it safe to leave plugged in? It seemed to be working just fine.

scsinet

In saltwater tanks, salt creep (salty crust) accumulates on everything. It's an excellent conductor, so the surfaces do not have to be visibly wet. That salt creep found it's way back to something energized.
Obviously, if you are getting a shock, you should not continue using the equipment as though nothing happened.
The first thing I'd check is the motor on your filter. First, unplug and remove the filter. Aquaclear filters have a motor assembly that sort of "locks in" to the filter body. Look for salty crust that has accumulated on the outside of the motor housing. If there is any there, clean it off with a damp cloth. Be sure to completely clean away any residue.
If there is none, try removing the motor from the filter body and look down into the recess where the impeller sits. Look for any cracks or other breakage in the motor body. Perhaps the body cracked, letting seawater come into contact with the internal components of the motor. If you see anything, throw away the filter and purchase a new one.
The other thing you want to check out is your lighting system. Salt crust often accumulates around switches, light sockets, etc, and the current follows the crust anywhere it can, energizing anything along the way. Clean up anything you can find.
Let me know how that goes.

Once you get this solved, we'll deal with the next steps to ensuring this doesn't happen again.

jesshika

Thanks for the response. I took it off and cleaned it all out and cleaned the salt creep off anywhere else. I didn't notice any salt creep on the filter and I didn't see any cracks but I let it dry out before plugging it back in and so far it hasn't been shocking me anymore.

gmann1139

Stupid question, but what else were you touching when you touched the filter?
For instance, did you just walk over to the tank and touch it, or were you working on the tank, and brushed it?

jesshika

I walked over and touched it because I was putting the cover back on it and my finger just touched the plastic. But I don't have a GFCI.

scsinet

Originally Posted by Jesshika
http:///forum/post/2899659
I walked over and touched it because I was putting the cover back on it and my finger just touched the plastic. But I don't have a GFCI.
You can't get shocked by simply touching one thing.
You must have been touching something else... what were you standing on ? Bare feet? What kind of floor?