Shopping for ro/di

bawood

I've reached the point where it's appropriate to buy a ro/di versus continually going to the grocery store. I rent an apartment so I want to know if there are any special things I should be aware of before I buy. Other than that I'm looking for ideas and recommendations. Are the ones at Costco worthwhile? Is there really a need for 5 chambers or whatever?
Thanks,
B

nietzsche

Originally Posted by sign guy
its not that hard whaca wanna know?
hey thats really cool, how much did it cost you?

triga22

Wow sign how much did that cost you? Im looking at the coralife model 4 stage. Its about 160.00 How much does it cost to make one?

sign guy

all right I have to get my my water mixing then Ill strart a thread about building your own and link it in here

bawood

So I haven't seen the instructions for the diy, but is it really that much money saved? I'm looking for features I should specifically look for or avoid. Any tips?
Thanks,
B

sign guy

sorry bawood I havent had a chance. for what you get you save a lot. Im gonna try and write it tomorow as Ive got alot to say. I want to explane how to get what you want out of the unit you build. as of this point kent, coralfe and typhoon are all good units but if you build your own you can cut your waist water down drasticly. if you want a unit you can buy Id recamend the kent maxima hi- with pressure gauge.
as for the rest of you guys Ill get a nice long read up here in the next day or so

So sign guy can you explain what each of the 7 stages in your DIY RO/DI filter. I thought my filtered water in my whole house system was ok but after reading here and other forums i believe your setup is the way i need to go any help would be appreciated.

sign guy

my unit was built around two things water quality and least amount of waist water possible. I have in order a 5 micron sediment filter a 1 micron sediment filter carbon 75 gpd ro membrane in witch the rejected water feeds a 35gpd ro membrane and they both feed back into a two stage DI. the DI's are the same but the water will travel through the older Di first then to a newer one. I run two sed filters because a 1 micron is so small it would clog up really fast so I put a more coman 5 micron before it