Short cycle

sagxman

I'm posting in the New Hobbyists thread as I'm sure others can learn from my question and the answers I receive.
About a week or two ago I upgraded from a 20 to 29 gal tank. Everything is new except for the LR. I used new LS to make a DSB and used new freshly mixed RO/DI saltwater. I added my uncooked shrimp to start my new cycle.
My ammonia and nitrites seem to be at 0 and my nitrate is about 20ppm. I have no diatoms, but could it be that I am completely cycled since my live rock was cured?

sagxman

I just figured since I was using a new filter and new media as well that it might take longer. Well, my daughter will be excited that we can add some cleaners soon. She's so excited since she is "helping" me with the new tank.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by SaGxMAN
http:///forum/post/2874611
I just figured since I was using a new filter and new media as well that it might take longer. Well, my daughter will be excited that we can add some cleaners soon. She's so excited since she is "helping" me with the new tank.
I dont claim to know much about DSB's but it may take awhile for it to become effective.
Where are the Pic's?

aztec reef

You're defenetly ready..
Everything new started the cycle, the lr is what finalized it, and top layers of sand also helped with the ammonification(nitrification). Once your Sandbed matures, it will help to get rid of Nitrates accumulation via Denitrification processes....The cured liverock willl speed up the infauna colonization in sandbed. This crustaceans are crucial for sandbed efficiency..
As a side note: may i suggest to try keeping Nitrates at 20ppm or lower.. Nitrates are less toxic than Nitrites & ammonia.. however, high Nitrate abundance may inhibit coral and invert growth/health..

sagxman

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
http:///forum/post/2875510
As a side note: may i suggest to try keeping Nitrates at 20ppm or lower.. Nitrates are less toxic than Nitrites & ammonia.. however, high Nitrate abundance may inhibit coral and invert growth/health..
I already knew this much, but thanks for adding since this is the newbie thread and I hope my post will help others starting their tanks for the first time.