Should anacondas be sold to the public??

aquaknight

Generally? No. But through strict permit-implementation, yes. What's the difference between tigers and anacondas? If you have enough $ and a proper habit you can get a tiger. If you have the means and want an anaconda, sure...

groupergenius

About 100 years ago when I was 16, I applied for a job with a local importer of exotic animals. Fish, reptiles, etc.... this guy had tanks with Black and Green Mambas, Gaboon Vipers, several varieties of Cobras, blew my mind.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2723614
Generally? No. But through strict permit-implementation, yes. What's the difference between tigers and anacondas? If you have enough $ and a proper habit you can get a tiger. If you have the means and want an anaconda, sure...
yes but for sites to just sell them where you pay money and then they ship it to you i think is a bad idea since anacondas get HUGE and then people might release them and then we will have anacondas roaming around eating cats, dogs, small children, adults, etc.
Ive heard of a few boa's wandering around that have been eating peoples cats and dogs. So i dont really like thinking that i have to worry about a snake eating my dogs or me lol..

chilwil84

burmese and african rock pythons fall into the same catagory of snakes. i used to breed them (only boas) and i couldnt beleive what peolpe at shows would sell to people.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by FishyGurl
http:///forum/post/2723623
yes but for sites to just sell them where you pay money and then they ship it to you i think is a bad idea since anacondas get HUGE and then people might release them and then we will have anacondas roaming around eating cats, dogs, small children, adults, etc.
Ive heard of a few boa's wandering around that have been eating peoples cats and dogs. So i dont really like thinking that i have to worry about a snake eating my dogs or me lol..
To that, I agree 100%.
However, even boas/pythons are a real problem in south florida. Personally, with technology today, I don't see why nearly every exotic animal that can (like obivously fish wouldn't qualify), be mandated to have a computer chip (like a cat/dogs)? That way, if a wild exotic animal is found, the previous owner can be ID'ed held responible? Even if this does drive the price up a bit, might do good. So instead of little Timmy, who want's an igunana for his birthday, their $59.99 instead of $19.99 and that make the potnetial owners (timmy's parents) more responible.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2723651
To that, I agree 100%.
However, even boas/pythons are a real problem in south florida. Personally, with technology today, I don't see why nearly every exotic animal that can (like obivously fish wouldn't qualify), be mandated to have a computer chip (like a cat/dogs)? That way, if a wild exotic animal is found, the previous owner can be ID'ed held responible? Even if this does drive the price up a bit, might do good. So instead of little Timmy, who want's an igunana for his birthday, their $59.99 instead of $19.99 and that make the potnetial owners (timmy's parents) more responible.
Ya i agree to this 100% i wish they did something like that. But even then while the animal is unfound it still could eat kids and dogs and cats.
Wow its at 50% yes and 50% no didnt think that would happen...

groupergenius

Living in Minnesota I don't think you have much to worry about. But like aquaknight said, here in Fl we get this kind of junk all the time. Released or escaped huge boas and pythons showing up and eating folks pets.
Iguanas...go to the Keys sometime. They are everywhere. And no...they are not native. Same as the fact that Lionfish are showing up now. Peacock bass, Oscars, Plecostumas, and Tilapia (Nile Perch), are taking over ponds and rivers all through South to Central Florida.
I'm surprised when I see Arrowannas (sp) for sale around here. Another major predator that some clown will let loose and start dominating. I think there is still a moretorium on selling Pirhanas here for that very reason.

dogfaceman

yeah, imagine if one got into a daycare center, can you say easy snack for an anaconda

jaymz

There is no need for owning a snake that big.. there are plenty of managable sized snakes out there. I think central american/redtail boas should be the biggest snake allowed for sale as a pet. Even a full grown female redtail is hard to deal with.

dplantz

If you watch Animal Planet they have Animal cops and the Miami addition has alot of snake rescue and captures from people releasing them and them becoming native species.

texasmetal

Some animals just aren't meant to be pets.
We don't have that many problems with giant snakes in Texas but there are on occasion crocs and alligators showing up in municipal water systems. Somebody gets them when they're tiny and then one day they realize "hey... this thing's going to EAT ME!" and they turn it lose somewhere. Stupid. There was a pet store in Lubbock that sold baby Cayman. Even at 3 feet max... that's like keeping a rabid pitbull.
Lots of "Big cat" sanctuaries around here too. Too many idiots getting tigers and lions and cougars. A 10lb cat can jack your hand up pretty bad just playing around. Why would anyone want to play with a 600lb cat?

jaymz

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
http:///forum/post/2724166
Lots of "Big cat" sanctuaries around here too. Too many idiots getting tigers and lions and cougars. A 10lb cat can jack your hand up pretty bad just playing around. Why would anyone want to play with a 600lb cat?
I work at one. Oh the stories i could tell of idiots owning cats... Oh like the one where they bought their 9 year old son a tiger cub for christmas. And the childs teacher finally filed a complaint thinking the parents were abusing the child. But no, see the tiger cub wants to play at night while child tries to sleep this makes for a very tired bruised and scratched up child. They are 2 pounds at 1 day old and 200 at 1 year old.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by Jaymz
http:///forum/post/2724186
I work at one. Oh the stories i could tell of idiots owning cats... Oh like the one where they bought their 9 year old son a tiger cub for christmas. And the childs teacher finally filed a complaint thinking the parents were abusing the child. But no, see the tiger cub wants to play at night while child tries to sleep this makes for a very tired bruised and scratched up child. They are 2 pounds at 1 day old and 200 at 1 year old.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by Jaymz
http:///forum/post/2724186
More money than brains.

jaymz

Years ago i interned at the International Exotic Animal Sanct, in boyd tx. very nice place. They do have alot of those places in texas they are about as loose with permits there as they are here in indiana. It just takes a USDA liscense to own a big cat, $300. Indiana and Ohio have a surprising amount of big cat owners...
Sorry not trying to divert the thread.