Should I add another protien skimmer?

I have been having a problem with hair algea on my sand. I have upped my water changes and cut back on my lighting time and removed it from the sand and it's back the next day. Oh and added phos-zorb to my filter. I am losing my mind
nothing seems to help. so I wondered if maybe I'm not getting enough out of the skimmer I have it's a only for a 55gallon which is what my tank is. But I have heard that more skimming is better. my friend said they have a Sea Clone 100 that I could have if I want it. Do you think I could run both skimmers? Would this help?

u mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang lover1961 http:///forum/thread/379988/should-i-add-another-protien-skimmer#post_3305177

just changing a skimmer is only part of the problem. I have gone through this before.
1 what type of water do you use ( ro ) or tap
2 how large water changes how often
3 how old are lights
4 how often do you feed ( make sure all food is eaten not on the sand bed)
5 is there a clean up crew
6 what type of filter are you using.

I have been having a problem with hair algea on my sand. I have upped my water changes and cut back on my lighting time and removed it from the sand and it's back the next day. Oh and added phos-zorb to my filter. I am losing my mind
nothing seems to help. so I wondered if maybe I'm not getting enough out of the skimmer I have it's a only for a 55gallon which is what my tank is. But I have heard that more skimming is better. my friend said they have a Sea Clone 100 that I could have if I want it. Do you think I could run both skimmers? Would this help?

I use r/o water. And was doing 5 gallon's a week I am now doing 5 twice a week. Light's are 1 month old. Feeding once a day 1/2 cube algea sheets twice a week. CUC is 2 serpent stars,15 Tonga snails, 6 hermit crabs, 6 turbo snails. My filter is a Fluval 405.

get siamese algae eaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!there great.........(but not for saltwater) i serioudly dont now what to say.....maybe keep your tank dark for a day or two if you dont have any corals......and check your water for maybe no draft spots were there could be a fish or food lying around....otherwise i dont now what to say

J

jstdv8

test your TDS in your RO water.
you could try a turf scrubber, worked absolute wonders for my tank.
or a GFO reactor
make sure and keep up on water changes.

u mike

I use a product called rowa phos it goes in the canister filter, then I also use a product called phos -e it is from britewell works very good look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang lover1961 http:///forum/thread/379988/should-i-add-another-protien-skimmer#post_3305192
I use r/o water. And was doing 5 gallon's a week I am now doing 5 twice a week. Light's are 1 month old. Feeding once a day 1/2 cube algea sheets twice a week. CUC is 2 serpent stars,15 Tonga snails, 6 hermit crabs, 6 turbo snails. My filter is a Fluval 405.

My r/o water test's fine I already thought of that. I have coral's so lights out is not a option. The phos- zorb I think is like what your talking about I have that in my canister. It has lower my phosphates to almost 0. I have read the thread on the turf scrubber don't know if I want to try that or not. Glad it has helped you. I think I'll try the other skimmer I guess it can't hurt to try. If it doesn't help try the turf scrubber or a sump. Thanks for your help.

reeferchik

How long has your tank been set up?
What kind of sand are you using?
Some sands have a silica base that for some reason promotes algae.
Although you have reduced the time on your lighting, how many hours a day do your lights stay on?
How long ago did you reduce your light time?
What are you feeding? How much? Do you feed any frozen brine, mysis or anything else?
Does your tank receive any sunlight (direct or indirect)?
I had this problem, and I covered the front and side glass with black poster board all day and uncovered it only when the lights came on at 7:00 pm...
I fed only what the fish would eat in 5 minutes and thawed all frozen fare on paper towels before feeding.
Don't give up !!! It took me a couple months before I saw a difference and I kept up this routine til it stayed gone...Hope some of this might help you!!!

posiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeferchik http:///forum/thread/379988/should-i-add-another-protien-skimmer#post_3305266
How long has your tank been set up?
What kind of sand are you using?
Some sands have a silica base that for some reason promotes algae.
Although you have reduced the time on your lighting, how many hours a day do your lights stay on?
How long ago did you reduce your light time?
What are you feeding? How much? Do you feed any frozen brine, mysis or anything else?
Does your tank receive any sunlight (direct or indirect)?
I had this problem, and I covered the front and side glass with black poster board all day and uncovered it only when the lights came on at 7:00 pm...
I fed only what the fish would eat in 5 minutes and thawed all frozen fare on paper towels before feeding.
Don't give up !!! It took me a couple months before I saw a difference and I kept up this routine til it stayed gone...Hope some of this might help you!!!

Not to be rude but, this reminds me of a saying about colds.

You can either bomb bard it with vitC and get plenty of rest and you will get rid of the cold in just 7 days OR......you can let it run its course and it will drag on for a week.

Yeah everything is doing fine. It's just that it makes my tank look dirty. Stupid crab's won't eat It. lol Makes feel like I'm doing something wrong.

posiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang lover1961 http:///forum/thread/379988/should-i-add-another-protien-skimmer#post_3305277
Yeah everything is doing fine. It's just that it makes my tank look dirty. Stupid crab's won't eat It. lol Makes feel like I'm doing something wrong.
I know how you feel. You can get a fish or a crab that will eat it if you want too. I'm not sure how your tank is stocked now? Or if you want those critters in your tank?

A matrix crab or a lawn mower blenny.

I have a Pink Spot goby but he only cleans the area around his cave. Our Lfs doesn't have the matrix crabs only hermits and emerald.

reeferchik

Hahaha...how funny ! That is so true...I don't consider it rude at all...I try to keep an open mind and take everything with a grain of understanding! Not to mention a sense of humor, especially when it comes to laughing at myself...It took me a long time to learn how to do that...what a lot of wasted time and laughs...I'm new here and may say the wrong things, but my heart is in the right place! Just want to learn more about this wonderful obsession of a lifestyle we all subscribe to and if I can impart anything I've learned along the way...I'm happy!!! (you forgot the chicken soup!) Peace, Rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posiden http:///forum/thread/379988/should-i-add-another-protien-skimmer#post_3305272

Not to be rude but, this reminds me of a saying about colds.

You can either bomb bard it with vitC and get plenty of rest and you will get rid of the cold in just 7 days OR......you can let it run its course and it will drag on for a week.

Sorry forgot say my sand is a mix of dry sand and Arag. And my lights are on for four hours. rinse my mysis and angel food cubes feed 1/2 a cube once a day. Thanks for your help Posiden and Reeferchik.