Should I change from Biological filtration to Mechanical??

karak40

Its been about 13 months that I have been running a 250 gallon Reef Room Divider Tank. The tank is viewable from the front and the back. The only problem I am having is alot of particulate matter floating in the water. I see alot of large tanks that have CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER!!! I WOULD LOVE THAT!!!! I was wondering if its because I have a biological Filtration Refugium with Calerpa and about 3 1/2 inches of Mudd in the refugium. I Tried everything from micron filter pads to liquid substitutes to collect the matter into clumps. They dont work. Is Mechanical Canister Filtrartion better?? Is there anyone out there with a bilogical refugium that has CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER??
Please help me out .
Thanks all

N

nereef

is the cloudiness you're experiencing from microbubbles? this would be caused by a poorly adjusted skimmer or a powerhead. canisters are obsolete in saltwater, in my opinion. the fuge you describe is much better. do you run a skimmer?

karak40

The partriculate matter is not microbubbles. It is actually micro floating particles. I do not run a Protein Skimmer. The Company that set up my system advised me against getting one. I know alot of people say protein skimmers are needed, and I am eventually gonna get one but my parameters in the tank are flawless. PH,NITRITE,NITRATE etc etc. The water isn't cloudy its just full of floating particles. I have no idea where they are comming from. The only thing I can come up with is there is some flaw in the refugium. It could be too small and the flow going through it is causing particles from the refugium to get pumped into the tank. What should the mesurements of a refugiumn be for a 250 gallon reef tank??

scrapman

get a as big as possible pro skimmer with a surface collection cup.... you'll be surprised to see the crap it pulls from your water. good luck... I have a 90 gal seen from both sides..... it's like having TWO TANKS!!... Enjoy, Take care of THEM!

N

nereef

you could eliminate particulates from the fuge by an intake sponge on your return pump.