should i get rid of my filter all together?

danrw84

When did you guys get rid of your power filters?
the filter floss in mine is brown by the end of the week...
what would happen to this stuff if i didnt have a filter?
should i keep my aquaclear on there and just add some LS and LR to it ?
whats your thoughts?
thanks

jonthefb

at the lfs that i work at, we run emperor backfilters on the 55 fish tnaks we have set up we only run them eith the biowheel on for the biological filtration, and then when necessary will add a sleeve of carbon or polyfilter to one of the chambers in the back. it works great, and everythign does really well!
good luck
jon

danrw84

well what should i do?
the filter media in my aquaclear is alwasy so dirty...so its working!
should i turn it into a small refiguim with LS and LR rubble in it?
take out the basket all together?
what do you think??
why do some people not run a filter?
should i get the emporer 280 and leave the bio wheel and run a little refiguim?
dan

P

pa reef pig

I dont have and never did have a powerfilter because...
A. I'm lazy and dont want to mess with one
B. I dont think I really need it.
everything looks good without so why bother?

azonic

I've also been wondering this dan. I run two skilter's on my tank, a 250 and a 400 model. I use filter floss 24/7 in them, and carbon from time to time...I don't use the skimmer aspect of them though. I've considered removing them as well....they get blocked VERY quickly and water just starts overflowing the intake thing so they can't be filtering much after the initial couple weeks for a new cartridge...
Anyone have any opinions?

saltyrich

converted mine into a mini-refugium. It seems to be working very well. My filter however was an Emperor 280.

danrw84

im considering doing this,...for the sake of a new project.
mine clogs as well.....but if that filter is pulling out all that crap....its there! so if its not taking it out, its staying in the tank?
let me know what your expiernce is.
dan
hey why did u choose the emperor 280 over the aqua clear or something else? was it just better/bigger? is ur flow all the way down salty?

gregzbobo

Problem is, if the floss is pulling the stuff out, its STILL in the tank decomposing and adding to dissolved organics until you remove the floss and clean/replace it. That is the main reason I don't use a filter sponge in my overflow. You know what they say, out of sight out of mind, and in my case its true, I'd forget about that sponge after a couple weeks and slowly the flow thru my sump would slow, and dissolved organics would rise. Not a good thing.

danrw84

so how is all that crap going to get pulled out of the tank. or is it?
should i take my aqua clear 300 and add some LR rubble and LS and let it sit at LOW flow?
or should i get a TINY aquaclear mini and do the same...witht he rubble? or would that not effect anything?>
dan

gregzbobo

How big is your tank? Do you have a skimmer on it? Since you seem to have room for a HOB filter, you might consider getting a small HOB skimmer instead. The CPR bakpak is a nice one if its within your budget. That will remove alot of organics. The junk you see in your floss is likely to be mostly growing bacteria and uneaten food. Left circulating in the tank, that uneaten food will end up as detritus, feeding the organisms in your sand.

otto13

I dont use a power filter at all. I have tons of live rock, a protein skimmer and mangroves growing out of the top. I use a mini clip on power compact light for them. It works okay. I actually have to do water changes less than when I had a sponge filter. I just kept watching food getting sucked into the filter and knew that it probably would have been eaten if it were left in the tank. Of course, this still isnt giving me the results I want. I am going to throw a refugium in the mix and see what happens.

danrw84

its a 29 gal tank
i have a red sea prizm skimmer already
i'll try adding LS and LR rubble to it instead of the media..see what happens. what do you think?
what about carbon...should i use it? when, how if im using the power filter (aquaclear300) as a little refugium?
or should i go even smaller and use an aqau clear 150 for light flow so pods can flourish?
dan'
thanks again