Should I have my protein skimmer on while cycling?

theweirdo

The guy at my lfs said that the bacteria will die in my live rock if I don't turn my protein skimmer on during cycling. Is this true?

sufunk

I dont thiunk hes right. In fact i dont think a protein skimmer will even work on a new tank.

O

oreo12

I think he was in a hurry to sell you a skimmer. It will work on a new tank

theweirdo

You wanna hear something funny, I also told him that someone on the net told me that I didn't need a protein skimmer during cycling and he said:
"Not everything you hear on the internet about fish is Gospel!"

I realize that that is true, but he was wrong himself.

fireman03

you do not need ur skimmer on during cycling it has nothing to do w/ making the bacteria die. all it does now is run up ur electric bill.
i bought my deltec skimmer and was super anxious to put it to use. there was nothing to skim because i has cured rock and no fish to potty in the tank. give it a while about 4-6wks. be patient grasshopper!!!!!!

superwade2

I think some skimmers vendors (at least my AquaC Remora Pro) mention something about a "break-in" time... I've been running mine since the day I added water to the tank. And it pulls some stuff out... maybe not the thick black coffee looking stuff that it will eventually, but I figure it's not hurting anything other than my pocketbook for power.
Sw2

bs21

i would say if you have uncured live rock while cycling a skimmer is a major help removing some of the die off....if cured live rock or none at all the skimmer isn't a must but IMO couldn't hurt either way.

promisetbg

We have always used a skimmer in the rock curing tank at work.There are organisms dieing off in the rock.You would be amazed at what it pulls out.If you looked into the cup and saw what comes out...then ask yourself..."do I want that in my tank?" :thinking: