should i make the switch to aggressive?

Hey guys I am looking at getting a custom 250 gallon tank and I was wondering based off of everyone's experience what they loved about aggressive tanks. I have always run reef tanks the biggest being a 120 Gallon, but am intrigued by the aggressive fish. I love the triggers especially and was thinking about switching.

jay0705

Aggression sucks lol large fish very nice. Aggressive fish can rule a tank, even w other "aggressive" fish. Eventually u have one or 2 nasty suckers left. My advice go w large fish but not overly aggressive ones. My aggressive tank consists of a yellow tail damsel, dwarf zebra lion, Valentine puffer, and a maroon clown. I am looking to add a aussie tusk to that mix aswell

Kristin1234

I love big aggressive tanks.

Do it and let me live vicariously through you.

I one day want a tank with mean triggers, lions, porky puffer, some big tangs, and all kinds of other mean stuff lol.

My lfs has a huge 450 gallon aggressive tank and it's bad ass. Really no other way to describe it. They even have some huge 4" damsels in there that the humu's and other meanies don't mess with. It can be done.

jay0705

Ha ha ha couple undulated triggers, panther grouper, volitan lions, bamboo shark. Yes it can be done lol

jay0705

Ha ha ha yes sw lol. In a huge tank you prob could put one w large fish. Idk why there even collected, yet alone sold. There fairly nice looking but hell they'll bite u if given the chance lol

So has anyone owned a clown trigger? That might be the number one reason I want an aggressive tank. Just wondered how they play with other fish.

jay0705

Generally consensus they play fine when young. Once mature its a gamble. Some say its like a light switch flipped and they kill everything. Very nice looking trigger tho

trigger40

So has anyone owned a clown trigger? That might be the number one reason I want an aggressive tank. Just wondered how they play with other fish.
i have. never buy one that is young, as they grow they can turn very mean. buy one at least 9'' long to be sure it is mature and wont turn, because once a trigger reaches maturity they usually keep the same level of aggression. so i would find a large one watch it interact with other fish to make sure its docile(docile is what you want) if you see it chasing fish around its probably not the one you want lol. i would still add the trigger last depending on what you want to put in tank. but if it is going to be your meanest put it in last or don't add new fish after a week, clown triggers are not overly fond of new comers lol

deejeff0442

I had a 250 tank. Bought a cherry grouper .
Well it beat my wrasse to death . Then ate my lion fish
The lion was 2/3 the size of the cherry. I came in the room and only saw a little piece of the Lions tail hanging out of the mouth of the grouper. Couldn't believe it.
Well the grouper went back to the store

jay0705

Grouper are very good fish in species only tanks lol. They will eat all tank mates even remotely small enough

LadAShark

I had a 250 tank. Bought a cherry grouper .
Well it beat my wrasse to death . Then ate my lion fish
The lion was 2/3 the size of the cherry. I came in the room and only saw a little piece of the Lions tail hanging out of the mouth of the grouper. Couldn't believe it.
Well the grouper went back to the store
The grouper will try to eat anything that's smaller than it, and oftentimes wrasse and lions are just not suited to fight back. You know the lionfish problem in Florida? Groupers have been documented to swallow lionfish whole there as well.

It's really unfortunate that that didn't work out. But that's definitely making me rethink the panther grouper that I've always wanted, as that grows to a good 2'+ and I really don't want a $30 fish to eat my $100+ dollar fishes (harlequin tusk, and shark or two). Harlequin tusk vs grouper, sigh, I'm not betting on the Harlequin.

LadAShark

Grouper are very good fish in species only tanks lol. They will eat all tank mates even remotely small enough
The thing is most people don't understand what "small enough" means. Nor is it clarified anywhere.

"Small enough" means any fish that's less than 80-90% of the grouper's size at any given point in time. Then again, depending on the fish's temperament, it might try to eat only things half its size, or things that are just barely smaller than it.

Oh and don't think so greatly of the lionfish. The lionfish is basically a grouper with quills.

jay0705

Ha ha ha my lion is a gem. I do agree tho smaller tank mates and especially if under fed any predatory fish is a roll of the dice.

LadAShark

Ha ha ha my lion is a gem. I do agree tho smaller tank mates and especially if under fed any predatory fish is a roll of the dice.
Yeah. Pretty much. Though groupers, anglers, lionfish, and lizardfish are particularly troublesome as the tankmates you keep don't need to be that much smaller than them in order for them to swallow them.

jay0705

I have a saddle puffer, maroon clown, yellow tail damsel, and a tang w my dwarf lion. He never bothers any. I am amazed tho, bc the tang flys rt at him when iam feeding him for the food lol

LadAShark

I have a saddle puffer, maroon clown, yellow tail damsel, and a tang w my dwarf lion. He never bothers any. I am amazed tho, bc the tang flys rt at him when iam feeding him for the food lol
I'm surprised the tang hasn't gotten stung yet. Besides, dwarf lions are too small to show their lionhood. Get a Volitans and just watch him gobble every little guy up.

In fact I'm surprised that you were able to keep a puffer, a damsel, AND a tang with the lion. Them and butterflyfish are the fish most likely to nibble and bite. Bite a lionfish and... he won't bite back, he'll sting back. How long have you had them? Good job keeping them alive so far though.

jay0705

Oh god lol I wana say about a yr now for all. The clown was first at prob 2 yrs now. I agree w the sting, iam surprised myself. You can actually see the lion fold the spines down at times when the tang gets close