should i or not

ophiura

So what are you going to do with it when it is several feet long?
Regardless of price, it is not appropriate for 99% of hobbyists to keep, IMO.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by ophiura
So what are you going to do with it when it is several feet long?
Regardless of price, it is not appropriate for 99% of hobbyists to keep, IMO.
I agree 100%. You will not be able to support the eel as it grows.

S

surfinusa

they get like 8 feet and kill fish and also need a several thousand gallon fish tank and i heard they are super fast growers :thinking:

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
i suppose if all else fails u could have alot of sushi....
they are poisonous i thought or is that only wild ones :notsure:

madman33

Originally Posted by surfinusa
seeing as how it was mostly caught in the wild i would consider it a "wild one"

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by surfinusa
naaah my teacher always has eel sushi for lunch

he is 11 inches now i have a 180 i can put him when he gets bigger than i plan to build but i hear you all he is awesome or i can always donate him to a aquarium . i,am just thinking , thanks for the advice guys

aw2x3

Originally Posted by clowntrigger2k
he is 11 inches now i have a 180 i can put him when he gets bigger than i plan to build but i hear you all he is awesome or i can always donate him to a aquarium . i,am just thinking , thanks for the advice guys

If you have the resources to upgrade from a 180gal. to more than 1000gal. in less than two years, then I say go for it. On top of that, you're gonna have to keep the equivalent of a weight bench on top of the tank, to keep the Moray contained. They're BIG, they're STRONG and they're MEAN.
Also, 99% public aquariums no longer take donations. They're worried about disease and most dont have the room anyway.

yeah i know god i,am bumping out now i really want one i had a 2 foot one which i sold about 7 yrs ago while i livd in jersey :( he wasn,t mean at all but i guess i,ll go tomorrow and see what other eel they got . i have a 125 now with a lion fish , niger trigger, cat shark egg soon to hatch ,and a white spot group had some damsels but the lion got them .

aw2x3

Before adding any more fish, you need to consider that the tank you have now is not big enough for ANY of the fish you currently have.
Rest assured the Cat Shark pup will quickly die, either of starvation or by being killed by the Trigger.
When hatching sharks, you need to have small tanks set up, to birth the pup in and also to ween to eating. In a 125gal. tank, with other tank mates, the pup isnt going to have the attention needed to start eating.

1journeyman

well i have always loved the green moray they have one for 50 bucks he is about 11 inches now very active . ?
Never, never buy an animal with the thought that one day you'll give it to an aquarium... these animals should not be collected. The Texas State Aquarium had one in excess of 7 feet when I was there during my college years. It was in an aquarium large enough for divers to do feeding presentations.
As for the shark; your 180 is not big enough for those either. They might survive, but cetainly not flourish in such confining space.

true but i will get a bigger tank later down the road i have to see if the shark will eat when it hatches ,but thanks for all the info guys i really mean that thanks

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
naaah my teacher always has eel sushi for lunch
probably freshwater eel :thinking:

1journeyman

true but i will get a bigger tank later down the road i have to see if the shark will eat when it hatches ,but thanks for all the info guys i really mean that thanks
Often times, though, when you go in with this mentality the animal can suffer. We tend to underestimate the needs of young fish.
I bought a tiny Purple Tang last year. Thet little guy swam the length of my 210 like he owned it from day 1. He looked like he could easliy live in a 20 gallon, but after watching him in the bigger tank it was obvious he would not have thrived there.
As for the shark, you're already planning on uprading your tank to a 180. If you want to keep the shark happy and healthy skip that upgrade and just go with the final tank you're looking at getting.