should I remove the bioballs?

chuckstr

I have a 75 gal tank with 80-100 pounds of live rock. Only have 2 fish in the tank so far. It has been up and running for approx. 6 wks.
Water test good except for nitrates they are 10.
I have heard people saying to remove the bioballs because they will make the nitrates go up.
Any advice would be great.

plomanto

I would think you have enought rock to not need the bio-balls. I would remove them very slowly only a few at a time

J

jasondean

I removed mine about 1/4 every 2 weeks replaced them with small pieces of sump rock. Iit took about 2 months for everything. Probably should have taken more time.

T

thomas712

Its up to you, the bio balls hurt nothing. They do not make nitrates. Its all a matter of maintanence. About every three months or so just take them out and rinse them in the tank water from a water change and you will be fine. Bio balls are very good at converting ammonia and nitrites over into nitrates. All you need is a simple plan for removing nitrates which happen anyway no matter what type of filtration that you use. The bacteria no matter where it is, converts ammonia to nitrites and then to nitrates.
So you will need to do the water changes anyway. Or have a DSB, Refugeium with macro algae, protien skimmer, whatever the case may be.
Tons of posts about bio balls, do an advanced search, use my name and you will come up with plenty to read about them.
Thomas712