Should my tank be this cloudy

bigarn

It happens.... The sand will take awhile to settle. Don't run any filters or PH's until it does. :D

arkey.d

Originally posted by hallk2342
Should my tank be this cloudy after two whole days?

Do you have any filters running? They will certainly help with the clouddines if you turn them on. After 2 days I don't think the particles will hurt the filter impellers. Especially if your using micron filters.

bigarn

Originally posted by arkey.d
Do you have any filters running? They will certainly help with the clouddines if you turn them on.

Only if the cloudiness isn't being caused by sand. :D

joker_ca

water movement does not help with the cloudyness, plus the particles are to small for a filter to remove them unless usings a micron sock which depends on which size you also have if you are using a micron sock, just turn everything off and let it settle on it own:D

greatfullreefer

Once you bacteria begins to reproduce it will attach itself to the floating particles weighing them down...should clear up in a week.

big boy69

I have a rena XP-2 canister filter and i put foam pads inside of it and ran it.
Every so many hours, i would shut it off and rinse the foam out.
It cleared in about 12 hours.

jazzfish

I asked the guy at the lfs the exact same question. It will clear up. Did you rinse your sand when you set up? That helps to pull out a lot of fine particles. It's okay if you didn't but next time you'll know and it'll clear faster. Good luck and have fun with the new tank.:)

syres1

Absolytly normal. Turn on your filters, protein skimmer, heater. Add some bacteria and get some live rock. Sometimes after you put a lot of live rock in your tank the water will get cloudy again, so your better off starting with everything right away. After 2 weeks you can buy some cheap damsels 1 or 2 that will help you speed up the cycling process. Take them out befor you add any expensive fish. Damsels can be very aggressive.

mudplayerx

I wouldn't recommend damsels to help with the cycle. That is an old-school trend that many modern hobbyists are now shying away from. They are agressive towards most other fish and there is no sense subjecting the poor damsels to tha harsh water conditions.
Once you witness some algae growth in the tank you can put about 1/4 of your cleaning crew in and they will add enought nitrates for the cycle themselves. If you arent getting algae, you can always feed the cleaning crew with some fish flakes.

snipe

Wiat until you can see the back of the tank. If you can see the back of the tank then all the sand is settled it is just dust left. Some ppl like the dust "I know bang dose" But other ppl filter it out to get things moving faster. If you want just turn on your filter and pull the dust out. But only if you can see the back of the tank so you know the sand is not in the tank or the sand will eat away at the pump and it will break it.
I also agree on the damsle thing "DONT DO IT" It is cruel to the fish. The amonia burns there gills and "in most cases" kills them. You are better off getting a couple of shrimp from the local store shelling them and dropping them in. Mine cost me $0.32 for 6 of them "I cycled two tanks" so it is cheaper to.