Should swf tweak the new forum?

ric maniac

I like the new way things look around here, however, I think we should have something like this
MAIN SECTION IN BOLD
sub section(s) not in bold
NEW HOBBYISTS
FISH DISCUSSION
Reef tanks
Fish only tanks
Sea horses and pipefish
Aggressive fish
Captive breeding
Nano tanks
Clownfish and anemones
FISH PHOTOGRAPHY
Share your aquarium
CORALS
Lps corals
Sps
Softies
Non photosynthetic
Fragging techniques
INVERTABRTES
Clams(but is there really a need for a sub section on this one?)
ADVANCES IN THE HOBBY
The responsible aquarist
No...no....no!
Lighting, equipment, and diy
Disease and treatment
ARCHIVES AND FAQ
LIVE SELLING AND TRADING
THE AQUARIUM

sepulatian

Funny, I just used the word "tweak" in reference to the new set up in another post. It is certainly a work in progress. Sub headings would help. The problem is that new people are still going to post in "new hobbyists", regardless. Some things cannot be under a sub heading though. Under Corals, the different kinds would work. Under fish photography, the new contest section would work. Under responsible aquarist, the NO section would do well. Lighting, equipment and DIY, still needs it's own place, and so does disease and treatment. Ask SWF is a wonderful idea. I like that one very much. Fish discussion could have the categories that you said, with the exception of "seahorse and pipefish" and "clownfish and anemones". I believe that they need there own area.
Just my thoughts.

ric maniac

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2604029
Funny, I just used the word "tweak" in reference to the new set up in another post. It is certainly a work in progress. Sub headings would help. The problem is that new people are still going to post in "new hobbyists", regardless. Some things cannot be under a sub heading though. Under Corals, the different kinds would work. Under fish photography, the new contest section would work. Under responsible aquarist, the NO section would do well. Lighting, equipment and DIY, still needs it's own place, and so does disease and treatment. Ask SWF is a wonderful idea. I like that one very much. Fish discussion could have the categories that you said, with the exception of "seahorse and pipefish" and "clownfish and anemones". I believe that they need there own area.
Just my thoughts.
I wasn't sure about the clowns or seahorse thing. but i still think the disease and lighting/equipment sections should be under advancements, because these sections are advancing the hobby greatly, no? and hoorah for tweak, lol.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ric maniac
http:///forum/post/2604232
I wasn't sure about the clowns or seahorse thing. but i still think the disease and lighting/equipment sections should be under advancements, because these sections are advancing the hobby greatly, no? and hoorah for tweak, lol.
I think that they need to be separate. If you had ich, and had no idea how to treat it, would you post it under Advances in the hobby? Without a specified forum, it is likely to be posted under New Hobbyist. Lighting and Equipment needs a place of it's own as well, IMO.

ric maniac

No, I would post it under disease treatment....? Why not? lol. All of the forums would stay, but they would be on a second page that opens up after you click on the first, just to kind of filter things out. Almost like a sports chart that fouses in on the last two teams. Does that make sense? lol if it doesn't, then I don't blame you.

fishygurl

ik its long, i didnt take TOO much time thinking about it i am iffy on the second and third main subjects, i think they could possibly be combined so you dont have as many sections...Anyways the bold should be where you can click on it and it will show you all posts that belong to all the subs and then if you dont want to look at all and just more specific you could click on a sub and have posts from just that...if that made any sense...LEARN HOW TO/NOT TO SET UP YOUR TANK, ID'S, and CuresNew Hobbyists
No...No....No!
The Responsible Aquarist
Hitchhikers and "ID Please"
Disease and Treatment
YOUR AQUARIUM, & ASK/ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT THESE SET UPS

Tank Diaries
Reef Tanks
Fish Only Tanks
Nano Tanks
Aggressive Tanks
Semi/Species Only
Captive Breeding
FISH, CORAL, PLANTS, and INVERTS

Corals
-SPS Corals
-LPS Corals
-Soft Corals
-Non-Photosynthetic Corals
--Fragging Techniques
Invertebrates
-Clams
Fish Discussion
-Clownfish and anemones
-Seahorses and Pipefish
Marine Plants
EQUIPMENT

Lighting
Equipment
DIY
IDEAS

Ask Saltwaterfish.com
Advances in the Hobby
-Aquacultured Livestock
PHOTOS

Share your Aquarium
Fish Photography
SELLING/TRADING

Non Live Selling/Trading
Live Selling and Trading
CHAT/DEBATE ABOUT THINGS OUTSIDE OF THE AQURIUM

The Aquarium
Archives and FAQ

(i am by no means trying to steal the thread or anything if no one likes it thats fine and if the original person that made this post doesnt want people to share their ideas on how it should look i am sorry and just ask and i will try and delete it ASAP)

triga22

Ive been saying this ever since I joined lol. The aquarium section needs to be called something else. It should be the lounge or something like that.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by TriGa22
http:///forum/post/2605072
Ive been saying this ever since I joined lol. The aquarium section needs to be called something else. It should be the lounge or something like that.
I agree i think it is kinda weird to call it The Aquarium when it has really nothing to do with aquariums, this is why i think they chose it tho... but i would rather have it called something else The Lounge sounds better imo

ric maniac

Originally Posted by FishyGurlhttp:///forum/post/2605067ik its long, i didnt take TOO much time thinking about it i am iffy on the second and third main subjects, i think they could possibly be combined so you dont have as many sections...Anyways the bold should be where you can click on it and it will show you all posts that belong to all the subs and then if you dont want to look at all and just more specific you could click on a sub and have posts from just that...if that made any sense...
LEARN HOW TO/NOT TO SET UP YOUR TANK, ID'S, and Cures

New Hobbyists
No...No....No!
The Responsible Aquarist
Disease and Treatment

Tank Diaries
Reef Tanks
Fish Only Tanks
Nano Tanks
Aggressive Tanks
Semi/Species Only
Captive Breeding

Corals
-SPS Corals
-LPS Corals
-Soft Corals
--Fragging Techniques
Invertebrates
-Clams
Fish Discussion
-Clownfish and anemones
-Seahorses and Pipefish
Marine Plants
EQUIPMENT

Lighting
Equipment
DIY
IDEAS

Ask Saltwaterfish.com
Advances in the Hobby
-Aquacultured Livestock
PHOTOS

Share your Aquarium
Fish Photography
SELLING/TRADING

Non Live Selling/Trading
Live Selling and Trading

The Aquarium
Archives and FAQ

(i am by no means trying to steal the thread or anything if no one likes it thats fine and if the original person that made this post doesnt want people to share their ideas on how it should look i am sorry and just ask and i will try and delete it ASAP)
looks good too, however I don't think that the corals/inverts/plants should be grouped together. JMO. And I want people to share their ideas
I just want it more organized

E

enigma1388

Originally Posted by FishyGurlhttp:///forum/post/2605067ik its long, i didnt take TOO much time thinking about it i am iffy on the second and third main subjects, i think they could possibly be combined so you dont have as many sections...Anyways the bold should be where you can click on it and it will show you all posts that belong to all the subs and then if you dont want to look at all and just more specific you could click on a sub and have posts from just that...if that made any sense...
LEARN HOW TO/NOT TO SET UP YOUR TANK, ID'S, and Cures

New Hobbyists
No...No....No!
The Responsible Aquarist
Disease and Treatment

Tank Diaries
Reef Tanks
Fish Only Tanks
Nano Tanks
Aggressive Tanks
Semi/Species Only
Captive Breeding

Corals
-SPS Corals
-LPS Corals
-Soft Corals
--Fragging Techniques
Invertebrates
-Clams
Fish Discussion
-Clownfish and anemones
-Seahorses and Pipefish
Marine Plants
EQUIPMENT

Lighting
Equipment
DIY
IDEAS

Ask Saltwaterfish.com
Advances in the Hobby
-Aquacultured Livestock
PHOTOS

Share your Aquarium
Fish Photography
SELLING/TRADING

Non Live Selling/Trading
Live Selling and Trading

The Aquarium
Archives and FAQ

i like this set up. the no no no's should deff. be right below new hobbyists.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by ric maniac
http:///forum/post/2605241
looks good too, however I don't think that the corals/inverts/plants should be grouped together. JMO. And I want people to share their ideas
I just want it more organized
ik they are different and stuff i just put them together because you can choose which one you want to discuss about idk i too think if anyone has any better ideas they should post them because the more we see or like the more organized it can be

cowfishrule

things were fine the way they were. it was the incompetent users that made things difficult.
bring back the previous version, please.

scopus tang

Regardless of how they tweak it, I think they need to limit it to 20 forums. Otherwise its too easy to miss forums on the button. Personally, I think subcategories would continue to confuse the issue ~ a forum within a forum so to speak is still going to split up users, and if your looking for help, you are likely to be missed.

sepulatian

I don't think that it is so much being missed, but people not knowing where to post. We are looking at this from our perspective. I think that the new set up is geared toward new people. We all know where to post what. It is the new people that, I am sure, they hope to bring in that may be confused. I don't think any of us that reply to posts are going anywhere. I know that I will be around. I think that the forums should be new user friendly.

fishygurl

so your saying for each section they should have a description on type of stuff to put there? and problem solved if new people take the time to read the sentence or two underneath each one?