show me your DIY stands!!!

ifirefight

Originally Posted by peter1215
what is the reccomended type of screw to use on stands. I have box of 3" deck screws , are these ok ?
Yes, I used galvanized 3" deck screws. Just didnt want you to use drywall screws or some other "cheap" screw that could break. Also..use wood glue at all areas you join together... People underestimate the strength of wood glue. It is VERY strong when dry.

peter1215

Firefight
home depot has two kinds of DF 2x4's. regular DF(which feels a bit wet and heavier) and DK-DF, which has a pinkish color and is totally dry. which one is best suited for using as supports and legs for the stand?

trainfever

Originally Posted by ifirefight
e-mail sent to pistol pete. I love it!! Im sure most people wont know who pistol pete is,,,,LOL.
Are you talking about Pistol pete Maravich?

ifirefight

Originally Posted by trainfever
Are you talking about Pistol pete Maravich?
Yes,Thats who IM talkin about,....Is there another Pistol Pete???

dadszx7

Here's a photo of my new stand/tank and canopy, which I built myself.
The stand and canopy, need to be final sanded, stained and varnished. Will be stained a cherry walnut. It has a 2x4 skeleton and skinned in birch plywood. Will have black hardware and hinges. The canopy opens at the top via a piano hinge to give access to top of tank and lights. Will have two fans in the back. One blowing in and the other blowing out.
My sump/refugium will fit underneath and is a 20 gallon.
This is my third tank. I've got a 125, now this tank. I'm my son has 30 gallon hex. Which I'm teaching how to take care of.
I can post a photo of sump at a later time. As I don't have a photo of yet.
Send an email to my personal email, which you have and I can send of the diagram, picture that I used.

trainfever

Yes,Thats who IM talkin about,....Is there another Pistol Pete???
Well I was just letting you know that there are others who know who he is, he is not forgotten yet. Although I have to agree that most people here on these boards peobably dont know who he is. LOL

peter1215

Originally Posted by dadszx7
Here's a photo of my new stand/tank and canopy, which I built myself.
The stand and canopy, need to be final sanded, stained and varnished. Will be stained a cherry walnut. It has a 2x4 skeleton and skinned in birch plywood. Will have black hardware and hinges. The canopy opens at the top via a piano hinge to give access to top of tank and lights. Will have two fans in the back. One blowing in and the other blowing out.
My sump/refugium will fit underneath and is a 20 gallon.
This is my third tank. I've got a 125, now this tank. I'm my son has 30 gallon hex. Which I'm teaching how to take care of.
I can post a photo of sump at a later time. As I don't have a photo of yet.
Send an email to my personal email, which you have and I can send of the diagram, picture that I used.
DAD
could you email me the plans for the stand. Im in the process of building a stand for my 210f right now and could use some tip. thanks
pistolpete1215@yahoo.com
thx
Peter

garfunkle

very nice garfunkle. what kind of wood did you use.
pistolpete
Thanks, I used Maple.

dadszx7

Hey Pistol Pete.
I'll be glad to send some plans/directions. Although all directions/notes are at home.
I'll get them to you soon. I'm really busy until about Sunday night. I'll get them to you.
on a side note, didn't Pistol Pete play for the Celtic's :thinking:
Cheer's
Dadszx7

ifirefight

WOW, Garfunkel... very nicely done. Earlier in this post i showed the frame of my stand....here is the front lower section....still need to fininsh the hood and attach the sides. Will post pic of that as I get it done.

ifirefight

what kind of paint or waterproofer do you use for the frame and supports?
Pistol,I used kilz primer and gloss exterior paint. Exterior paint holds up fine on the house so should be fine in my air conditioned living room.

peter1215

Pistol,I used kilz primer and gloss exterior paint. Exterior paint holds up fine on the house so should be fine in my air conditioned living room.
I would love to put my 210g in the family room but I'm afraid of the weight since we have a basement . right now its supposed to go in the basement which is a waste as we only use the basement to exercise or watch tv at times.
pistolpete