Show me your reef safe triggers, heres mine.

bad venom

Here's my Blue Throat trigger. I had my setup for 3 months now in a 90gal. Still kinda new at it and loving it.

lion_crazz

Murph, you are still much more brave than me for putting that pink tail in your tank. I am glad it is working out for you though.
I am curious to see if anyone else has any triggers in their stocked reef tanks.

bkvreef

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Murph, you are still much more brave than me for putting that pink tail in your tank. I am glad it is working out for you though.
I am curious to see if anyone else has any triggers in their stocked reef tanks.
Murph,
What do you have in with your Pink tail

murph145

yeah u know i sweatin it big time when i put him in the tank.... hes been in there like 3 months now and has been a model citizen for sure....
the fish that gives me the most greif is my blue hippo tang he picks on my small croceas once in a while kinda pisses me off
anyways my fish list is the following....
pink tail trigger
yellow fuzzy dwarf lionfish
blue hippo tang
mandarin dragonet
lawn mower blenny
3-yellow tangs
1 male lyertail anthias
3 small female lyertail anthias
siscor tail goby
clarki clown
yellow coris wrasse
thats all my fish and they all get along....
key is feed the not so reef fish like my lion and trigger enough food to keep them happy and not look at the smaller fish as food

a2hotz

I understand there are a few reef safe triggers as long as they are fed but which ones and do any not bother shrimp?
Murph... whered you find the lionfish? never seen a yellow one - I love it!

murph145

i got him an LFS about 2.5 years ago i didnt realize it was guina be such a nice colorful fish! everyone really likes it hes always swimming around....
as far as triggers go....
u can get away with
blue jaw triggers
pink tail triggers
crosshatch triggers
niger triggers
any otehr are more aggressive even these are hit and miss but more towards the friendly side of things
i dont have any shrimps or crabs so it doesnt matter anyways

hatessushi

as far as triggers go....
u can get away with
blue jaw triggers
pink tail triggers
crosshatch triggers
niger triggers
any otehr are more aggressive even these are hit and miss but more towards the friendly side of things
Actually the Pink Tail (up to 12 inches) is a Melicthys Niger just like the smaller Hawaiian Black Trigger also known as Black Durgeon Trigger. It should be added to your list since it has the same aggression level as the Pink Tail only the Hawaiian doesn't get as big, about 8 inches. It is reef safe with the exception of ornamental shrimp.
The Niger Trigger or "Odonus Niger" is more aggressive but can be housed in reefs, is harmless to corals, but may nip at sponges, tunicates, ornamental crustaceans and snails. To keep with cleaner shrimps, add the shrimps first.
I just purchased a Hawaiian Black from this site to replace my Bluejaw I had in QT that died before it ever got to the DT. It's going in a reef tank along with a coral beauty, maroon clown, Kole tang, rather large diamond goby.

hatessushi

I just ordered my hawaiian on monday from this site. I don't know how many they got in but they are fairly rare. I had put it on my wish list for at least 2 months. We are so excited and it looks like it is shipping today. Since they change color hues alot i can't help but wonder what color it will be when it arrives.

volcom69

nice guys hey quick question how big to the blue throat triggers get, and are they really reef safe. Are crabs and snails and shrimp in danger of these.

murph145

they can get up to 8" but in an aquarium i doubt they get that big that fast....
says one of the more reef safe triggers usually ignores invertebrates

C

coryjac0b

my 2 have been in the tank only a week and are letting the cleaner shrimp pick all over them.