Show off your new stuff!

wartooth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali1985 http:///t/387922/show-off-your-new-stuff/20#post_3426704
Looks like a red fromia starfish, nice... Best part is they are reef-safe, I have a blue one. Good luck, some people have good luck with the some don't. I think the damage is done most times before they even get to your tank. He looks healthy...so nice addition.
Thanks. I have a good feeling about these sea stars... I once tried having a red bali a couple of months ago, but all it did was plant itself on a rock and die 4 days later lol. These two however have been wandering all over the tank like champs.

xcali1985

Yea signs of starvation and death coming is lack of movement. I was told that there is a way to see how healthy it is. Basically flip him over and he should be able to turn himself back over within a minute or so. If not he's starving or dying. When I first got mine I would look all over the tank to see where he was and he would be tucked on the back of a rock. Now after having him for quite a while, I don't worry I know hes somewhere.
Try the trick though. It doesn't hurt them, flip him over in the sand bed and he should almost immediately try to turn himself over. Post your time. I'll do mine when I get home tonight and we can compare. I have an HD underwater camera. I may try to film him.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali1985 http:///t/387922/show-off-your-new-stuff/40#post_3426986
Yea signs of starvation and death coming is lack of movement. I was told that there is a way to see how healthy it is. Basically flip him over and he should be able to turn himself back over within a minute or so. If not he's starving or dying. When I first got mine I would look all over the tank to see where he was and he would be tucked on the back of a rock. Now after having him for quite a while, I don't worry I know hes somewhere.
Try the trick though. It doesn't hurt them, flip him over in the sand bed and he should almost immediately try to turn himself over. Post your time. I'll do mine when I get home tonight and we can compare. I have an HD underwater camera. I may try to film him.
Tell me you're kidding.....you actually go around flipping your sea stars over and waiting for them to show signs of life. It reminds me of jabbing a sleeping critter with a stick. I have always held the rule to not put your hands into the tank unless you have to. I certainly don't recommend you pester them just to see if they are alive or not.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387922/show-off-your-new-stuff/40#post_3427140
Tell me you're kidding.....you actually go around flipping your sea stars over and waiting for them to show signs of life. It reminds me of jabbing a sleeping critter with a stick. I have always held the rule to not put your hands into the tank unless you have to. I certainly don't recommend you pester them just to see if they are alive or not.
I totally agree here. Flipping your stars over is just not necessary unless you have a concern about him, and even then... it is still extremely stressful for the animal.The only exception to me is feeding.

jburgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tur4k http:///t/387922/show-off-your-new-stuff/20#post_3426764
Did you mean Huma Huma Trigger? As far as I know, there is no such thing as a huma tang.
I wish that I could put a huma huma in my reef without it destroying everything. They are beautiful fish.
hahahaha...yes...a Huma Huma Trigger. I guess I should pay more attention to what I am typing! I was going to get a tang, and then was talked into the trigger...so I had tang on the brain. I don't have much that can be knocked around other than my LR...but he sure is doing a good job knocking around what I do have! He is such a clumsy oaf! But he is getting along with my maroon clown famously, so I guess he can stay for awhile :) I need to upgrade my lights before I can get much as far as coral goes anyway.