Show your gorgonians!

brooklyn johnny

I've always loved gorgonians, and since setting up my nano I like them more as they take up little "rock space" while filling the tank well. Here is my latest addition Swiftia exserta I believe... had it over a month and it's now showing noticable growth. This is nonphotosynthetic by the way. Look for some Diodogorgia (rin both red and yellow) like the one offered here at SWF. I'm up to five species in the nano...
Show me yours please :cool:

brooklyn johnny

I dose 10mLs of phyto every other day (a lot for my nano), but I don't believe he feeds on that. I also feed selcon, baby brine shrimp, and a mess of frozen foods along with what my fuge gives. I'm convinced he's eating something, but not sure what. I don't feed microvert or any other dried powders, as I'm concerned about ODing my nano, and things have done well without it. Not a very specific answer, but I hope it helps. Thanks dvskin by the way...

j21kickster

freak- awesome how much did that run you?
Here is an old pic of mine- the red opens during the day and the yellow at night

spsfreak100

Originally posted by Brooklyn Johnny
Wicked Graham! I've wanted a piece of one of those guys too. How long have you had it and how's it doing? Tell us more...

Unfortunatly,
The large Acalycigoria
passed away in March :( I used to have the Gorgonian under Power Compacts, where it flourished and grew considerably. Since i've switched to Metal Halides, it has slowely wasted away.
Fortunatly, I still have a small 2" fragment of the gorgonian growing at the back of the tank, under a large ledge. This one seems to be doing OK (See bottom attachment).
From what i've read, these Gorgonians don't live very long in captivity. Many of them seem to waste away after 8 months or so, and are very difficult to keep. Much more difficult than your standard Diodogorgia gorgonian.
freak- awesome how much did that run you?
Let's just say "Too Much" :D
Graham

nm reef

Very nice pics! I purchased the photosynthetic type below several months ago. It was badly damaged and had several barren branchs...it has since recovered and has grown considerably since I added it. Its not as colorful as some other types but I've been pleased with it.

brooklyn johnny

Newreefers awesome! That's the same Diodogorgia that SWF.com offers for like 12 bucks! (sales pitch ;)) NMreef awesome... even when the colors aren't that great the texture is neat. Here's a similar one that's my latest gorgonian addition... you can see two seperate purple photosynthetic types in the back on either side. If provided the right conditions the photosynthetic ones are rock solid... let's see some more!