shredding fins

ohscc

I have a minatus grouper and a huma huma trigger. A couple of weeks ago my grouper had a chunk out of his tail fin and i figured it was just the trigger finally getting angry at the grouper. However since that time the grouper's tail fin has become to shred. The fin is shreded about 1 cm in all along the fin. The tissue inbetween the bones in the fins seem to become very thin and then tear. The only other fins that show any sign of this are his fins under his body (not pectoral). My huma has no signs of this any idea. I really hope it is not fin rot and maybe something else like diet. I feed them krill, and clam. (use to feed silversides but looks like they ran out of season at the stores). I use Zoe and garlic once a week. My tank parm are saltinity 1.023, ph 8.2, nitrate 40, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, phos 0, and forgot alk but should be ok. MY tank temp is 85 F. Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a QT? The fish should be separated to determine if the issue is aggression or a bacteria. If it is a bacterial infection then it will have to be treated with antibiotics.

ohscc

i do have a qt but it is a pain to go set it up. So i would really want to be sure, but i think i may have to do that... Thanks