Shrimp-o-tank

bhav_88

I plan to make a small (10-20 gallon) tank for nothing but crustations. How often would I need to change the water in this?

overanalyzer

Well depends on how often you feed but I'd say weekly in order to boost the trace elements the crustaceans would need in order to remain healthy. Plus it minimizes the type of filtration you will need. I change 1/2 gallon to a gallon a week on my 5 Gallon and do a 1-2 gallon change every two weeks on my 20 gallon ....

overanalyzer

I think it depends on the number of crustaceans and how often they molt.
The trace elements are found in your salt mix - not the RO/DI water - so that is why I would suggest weekly water changes of a small amount - that way you are continually adding those trace elements in (and removing some waste if you are feeding the tank).
Also - I would not dose without testing ....

j21kickster

true- but then again the amount of trace elements in a 10 gallon with a few crabs, shrimp etc wont be used fast- especially b/c there wont be able to be a lot of them in there

bhav_88

Thanks for all the help. I don't plan to get corals, as I am lazy (For this hobby... Comparatively I can't be all that lazy if I even have saltwater fish...) and do not wish to take care of them. I just love shrimp.
I have additives for the trace elements, so does that mean I need to change the actual water very little? Not that it's a huge deal, 10-20 gallons won't be an impossible feat to take 20% from.

overanalyzer

with no corals I'd agree with kickster - 1 maybe 2 times a month ... key is nitrate kills crustaceans pretty fast so you will have to keep you eyes on the water level