Shrimp question

redsnapper

i heard that if i got a shrimp it would reduce the bioload. Is that true? If so if I got more would it reduce it even more?
Thanks, Alex:happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish

mary

What kind of shrimp? Everything you put in your tank only adds to the bio load. Pepperment shrimp eat up aptasia, a glass anemone which often takes over and can become a problem. Cleaner shrimp sometimes clean your fish of bacteria but still must be fed . They do clean up debris but everything leaves refuse behind to add to your bio load. I am fighting with algea right now and do not have the money to do buy an RO system. Also do not have too many of anything in my tank. Just a 10 year old tank and phosphates have made themselve known. Check the message boards for articles on bio loads. Know your shrimp before you add any. There are some very combatant shrimp out there.

mary

Forgot to mention that keeping 3-5 peppermints or a pair of cleaners. give birth to thousands of brine for fresh food for your tankmates. Unfortunately you have to be diligent and watch to see when they are hatched, usually late in the evening right before the lights go out. I put my lights back on so the fish can have one of the best foods they will ever get. Watch for the shrimp to look very pregnant and fanning their eggs. I suspect they all let the eggs go in the evening hours. Maybe someone more educated than I can give you a "delivery" time. Have never counted the days.

mary

It takes patience. It is somewhere around 25-30 days. You can see the eggs in the shrimp. They are always cleaning them. This is a somewhat educated guess, just from experiance. My first sighting was purely coincidental with watching the tank late evening and luckily observing the happening. Lights switched off and I immediately turned them on for 15 added minutes. Live food gives your fish nutrients that nothing but live food can give them. I think if you can't have shrimp, purchased brine at least once a week is essential. Wash them first in fine stainless steel seive, or plastic. then feed. You have lots of live rock, over time, 6 months and beyond, lots of live stuff from rocks are also beneficial. Takes several months to establish. There are some crabs and such that feast on shrimp so check what you have that might totally nullify your shrimp purchase. Some fish also eat shrimp. My harliquins used to eat them. Banded goby used to pick them up and throw them against a rock. Was amazed to see that. He also did the same with hermit crabs. The only aggressive fish I can't catch is the six line wrasse. Am so sorry for putting thiat freeby fish in. Huge mistake.