shrimp vs. damsel... help

shiby1510

Hi i was wondering if it is better to cycle a tank with raw shrimp or a damsel or 2..... and is it just necessary to have 1 raw shrimp.. better to have more?? is it a good idea to perhaps have damsels with a shrimp?? any suggestions? thanks :happyfish

aburitojr

neither lol. i prefer just adding live rock. When i did that for my 55 gallon, the tank amazingly enough cycled in a week.

55galgill

but if you cant afford to go do that(i did lol) i'd use the shrimp wait till u get a good spike then chuck the shrimp.its kinda stressful/not nice to put the fish in that situation.even if they are evil little damsels:D

shiby1510

thanks for the tips friends

one thing tho... i'm thinking about making my own rock.... and i figured by the time the cycle is done the rock would almost be cured.... however i'm thinking of getting some lr also to seed the stuff i made.... and i was thinking of probably getting around 4lbs or so just as a start.... so would 4 # be enough for the cycle to run soo smooth as urs?? oh yah p.s. i'm most likely gonna be going with a 30 -40 g tank