Sick and tired of this algae!

a2hotz

I have an algae problem. Im not sure what kinda algae it is but it is annoying!! Its not slime, its hairy, but not like hair algae, its shorter...like fuzzy. It ranges in color from yellowish green to green to grayish yellow, depending on how much mud is caked on it... my clean up crew arent even close to handling it... I was sure it was due to high phosphates but when I had it tested... they were at 0. I have no idea at ths point. My lights (4x65w PC) are on from noon to 10pm... is that too much? I think I have enough flow... any ideas?

bonebrake

Reducing the lights won't solve the problem; it will only treat the symptoms. What are you nitrate levels? What are the phosphate and nitrate levels of your RO/DI water and freshly mixed saltwater? What is the TDS of your RO/DI water? Do you use RO/DI water?
:notsure:

a2hotz

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
Reducing the lights won't solve the problem; it will only treat the symptoms. What are you nitrate levels? What are the phosphate and nitrate levels of your RO/DI water and freshly mixed saltwater? What is the TDS of your RO/DI water? Do you use RO/DI water?
:notsure:

Im not using RO water... but Im not using it only because we have a fancy water filter and when I test it, theres no phosphates. Nitrates are @ 0 in the tank and before it gets put in the tank.. TDS Ive never checked before it was in the tank.

laddy

Originally Posted by A2hotz
......I think I have enough flow... any ideas?
You probably don't, if I had to guess. Control feeding the tank, phosphates, photo period, and increase turn over (especially at the surface to facilitate Co2 exchange) for a week or so and see if this helps.

who dey

your algae is being fueled by a high concentration of Phosphates in your tank. There are a few inexpensive ways to remove phosphates effectively and keep them gone for good. Test, if you haven't already. any phos in excess of .2 ppm is cause for concern. I did 20% water changes every other day with RO/DI water for 2 weeks, siphoning as much of the algae out as possible ( never pull it of with your hands because it will get in the water flow and re-attach and spread even more until phos is controlled). Your light source should be turned back to only 6 hours of light a day. If ur running a sump style filter, there is a product made by tropical science called phos pads with hair algae additive. Use the product as directed (it really helps) Next "phosban" is a must! it's a granular phos sponge that comes with its own media bag. use as directed and if you have a sump, it should be placed infront of the intake on ur return pump so water can be pulled through the media. I run it constantly and change it out every 30 days. It works wonders! Cut feedings back to every other day. All of this should rid your tank of hair algae in 30 days i promise and it will never come back if you constantly run "phosban" to keep your phos under .1ppm. good luck

a2hotz

will do...
I had my phosphates tested and there was none, but I think that has to be wrong... Im going to get the phosphate sponge stuff as soon as I can afford it again... I also cut my lighting to 2pm till 9pm. Im also looking into buying water from a drinking water place. I have been feeding my fish everyother day, changing it up between cyclops-eeze, spirlina enhanced brine shrimp and mysis shrimp so I wont change that too much. Im considering adding an extra powerhead.
Is there anything else I should do?

who dey

Have your LFS order you a "Tiger Cowry" (Very Large Snail) They will mow down any hair algae in its path. Can clean a 55gal tank in a few days! Your LFS should be able to get you one for 20bucks. They are 3-4 in long and have a very shiny speckled shell

a2hotz

Ive actually been wanting one of these for a long time... but Im worried that once the algae problem is under control, will he run out of food?

who dey

Originally Posted by A2hotz
Ive actually been wanting one of these for a long time... but Im worried that once the algae problem is under control, will he run out of food?
you can hand feed them strips of algae sheets!