Sick Anemone

corpjet

Ok my anemone has gone south. Water parameters seem to be ok. Should I increase lighting, feeding any suggestions would be great. Below are pics of the before and now.

mebanesox7

is the anemone high in the tank or is he near the bottom...if it's high in the tank it might be getting to much lighting....if it's low in the tank he might not be getting enough...
how long are its photosynthetic periods...try shortening them...if u don't have a photosynthetic period make one...
Answer a few questions for me:
1. wut size tank
2. how much lighting
3. has it moved
4. if so up or down
5. is it touching any corals
6. do u have a power head
7. if so is the current going by the anemone
8. do u keep the same light on all the time

mebanesox7

1 thing i left out:
9. is the anemone swaying from the current
!0. if it is it might be touching a cnidaria (corals that sting)

mryoung7

it appears to be terribly bleached. i am no anemone expert but i don't think that can result from too much lighting, only too little. tell us what lighting you have, how far from the light the anemone is, and how long your lights are on each day.
and i agree that thomas is the best person to answer this for you.

corpjet

Answer a few questions for me:
1. wut size tank - 90 gallon
2. how much lighting - 36" ORBIT 2X96W SUNPAQ W/LUNAR & FAN (same lighting as before, replaced the bulbs after one year)
3. has it moved - no
4. if so up or down
5. is it touching any corals - nope
6. do u have a power head - yes several
7. if so is the current going by the anemone - yes, the tank has a boat load of current
8. do u keep the same light on all the time - yes its on a timer - 4pm - 11pm
9. is the anemone swaying from the current - no
!0. if it is it might be touching a cnidaria (corals that sting) - nope none close
thanks for your help on this

T

thomas712

Bleached too be sure, 2x96 is not enough light on a 90 gallon tank. I have a 90 gallon tank and have 940 watts of lights VHO/MH combo, worked very well for me. you will need at least a 440 VHO or equivalent PC lighting over that 90 gallon. As the 90 is 2 foot deep I would suggest you look for a MH type lighting or a VHO/MH combo or PC/MH combo.
In the mean time try feeding it meaty foods like mysis shrimp 3 times per week.
There are many reasons it could be bleached, however I suspect lighting right off the bat. You may also want to check water paramiters to be safe, include calcium and alkalinity. Double check the small things like temp, stray voltage, preditors..etc..
Thomas

mryoung7

maybe thomas can confirm this but i think a good temporary measure (until you get stronger lighting) would be to have the lights on for more than 7 hours a day. it's perfectly normal to have an anemone under lights for 8 or even 9 hours a day, i believe.
let us know of any progress.

zanoshanox

Yeah i woudl s ay that until you upgrade your lighting you need to do anything you can to make sure he has as much lighting each day as you can give him, and upgrade quickly, its his only chance for survival.