Sick Blonde Naso

randyrags

Appreciate any Help! I have recently lost my dogface puffer. Soon after my Blonde Naso looked like he had black ick. I started formalin baths and I am now on day seven after 3 treatments but it does not seem to be helping. I think I may have mis diagnosed this. I have included this video and I am getting water ready for a water change. He still scrathes on the rocks. The cuuent perameters are salinity1.025, nitites 0, amonia 0, ph 8.0, nitrates 40.

pegasus

I don't see any spots of ick, so maybe it's okay there. I did notice the rapid breathing, though. It's definitely stressed. If it's scratching on the rocks, it's possible that it's some type of parasite. A cleaner shrimp (or two) is always a good addition to a tank with tangs. IMO, the Nitrate is a little high. Yeah, you might want to get on with a water change... or two. Try to get your Nitrate below 10ppm. The lower, the better. My Nitrate is less than .5 ppm...

randyrags

Thanks, here is another video. The scratching is a little better but now he has large patches on both of his sides.

mauler

It looks like he has black ich to me try dosing prazi. The thing on his side looks like a scratch wound but I'm not sure.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What was the dose of the formalin bathes, and for how long were you bathing? How frequently? Do you have a cycled quarantine tank?

mandy111

The yellow tang is showing a ton of aggression to your blonde. That would be stressing him very much as well. Is there any way you can separate them at all, so the nasso has time tor recover in peace.
The yellow is backing up on him in both videos, its only a matter of time until he strikes, trust me I know their behaviors well.
The blonde is breathing hard, i think due to the stress. Try to calm him down a little even if it means putting some kind of divider in the tank just for now.
It is unusual for a yellow to take on a much larger fish like a blonde, can I please ask what size tank your talking and how long you have had the blonde ?

randyrags

Beth, I have done a formalin bath 20 drops per gallon for 45 mins every other day for 3 treatments. I do have a cycled quarantine.

Mandy, it is a 90 gallon and the Naso has been in there since I got him in June of 2014. The yellow tangs were added a couple months later. I have noticed that they have been swimming close together almost hugging since puffer passed this last week. Before that the naso would do it with puffer.

I appreciate all the great advice!

pegasus

It looks like he has black ich to me try dosing prazi. The thing on his side looks like a scratch wound but I'm not sure.
Those are spots on the glass. If you look closely, you can see the spots don't move when the fish does...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would move the naso to the QT immediately. Continue with full-time formalin following the directions on your brand. I agree the yellow tang is posturing for aggression (not being Mr. friendly). It will be extremely difficult to keep two yellow tangs healthy and happy in 90 gal. I would frankly find new homes for both of them and get no more tangs until you have a larger display.

See if the Naso will get better on his own in the QT with the formalin. If he is still eating, be sure to give the best foods you can offer 2x daily. Soak meaty food in selcon or zoecon. Offer algae. Hopefully, he will improve within the next couple of days. Keep us posted!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
black ich naso.jpg

Those are spots on the glass. If you look closely, you can see the spots don't move when the fish does...
The spots I'm not sure about. They seemed to move all over the place when I looked at them so obviously some distortion with the vid (or my eyes). Black ich looks very similar to white ich, only with black or dark dots (salted only black). Without a better pic, we'll have to rely on randyrags to ID any parasite problem. Aggression is the immediate issue.

mandy111

No questions. QT immediately. Can recover in a non threatening environment. Not compete for food when feeling unwell. Turn lights off to help keep calm.
I am really sorry to say this but this tank is far to small for a nasso. Recommended size 180g or larger.LFS that sold him too you should be shot. They are active swimmers and stress very easily
Your not going to like what I say next, but please dont be angry, sit back and think about it.

I think you will find he has declined in health since growing & sharing an inadequate tank size with 2 very aggressive tangs. We all make mistakes& i dont want you to take this personally, . . They are just existing in that size tank not thriving.
If you've had him that long then the Ich has been able to show on this fish because he is stressed.(why stress now and not 6 months ago)
1. he has grown.
2. No swim room & such a big fish has no where to hide
3. very aggressive tank mates

Video is very sad. Very sad indeed , stressed, no room to swim, to big to hide. Even if gets better in QT. Within weeks of being back in that tank he will get stressed all over again. Look at what's caused this in the first place.

Please seriously you have to rehouse him, the blonde that is, and i would also suggest 1 yellow. They may not be at each other now because their is weaker pray to pick( a weak blonde) on but I assure you as they mature and become territorial one will kill the other.
I run a 400g, have two yellow and they are now getting bigger and we are starting to see aggression, we are now rehousing 1 for the sake of the fish.

pegasus

I agree with Mandy 100%. A large fish like a NT cannot remain healthy confined to a 90 gallon tank... even if it's the only fish in the tank.

Last edited:

randyrags

No offense taken... I really value all of your advice and experience. Can you please recommend what would be a great variety for a 90 gallon. Would love to go larger but limited at this time.
Thanks again!

jay0705

Tangs are great fish aren't they lol. Of all fish there the one u can't crowd. I have a naso in qt and my biggest concern is my yellow in the display. The naso is bigger, but the yellow was first. So I share your concern.
Idk if space is your constraint or cost but I would bet 90% of your current equipment could be used in a larger tank if you want to upgrade.
Just an idea

randyrags

There is more going on here... Now this morning two more sick fish. My clown and my file fish look like their fins are deteriorating. Clown almost looks like strings are coming off of top and bottom fins. I will try to get a picture as soon as they are in a good spot. I did do the water change last night. I did notice clown acting weird yesterday. He was darting a little which is different behavior for him.

mandy111

There is more going on here... Now this morning two more sick fish. My clown and my file fish look like their fins are deteriorating. Clown almost looks like strings are coming off of top and bottom fins. I will try to get a picture as soon as they are in a good spot. I did do the water change last night. I did notice clown acting weird yesterday. He was darting a little which is different behavior for him.
HI, I appreciate you not being mad a me.
I am still questioning a totally stressed out tank, deteriorating fins ?
Could this be in fighting, I know people often say "no tank is peaceful as " but often aggression will happen at night. Particularly with yellow tangs, yellow tangs will nip first and use the tail slapping as a last resort.
Her is an article speaking of a fin rot in saltwater fish.

The most effective way to deal with diseases is to prevent it by minimizing stress.
"A varied diet, stable water temperature, good water parameters, daily observance, and responsible stocking are a few ways to ensure healthy fish, free of disease.

It may also be water quality, I see your nitrates are sitting at 40ppm. I am of the belief that for saltwater fish particularly 20ppm is about as high as their able to tolerate under no stressful conditions.
So maybe 40ppm under stressful conditions is just not going to work, and keep your fish healthy.

With regards to stocking your tank in the future. Here is a great link to a site that has all the information on just about every saltwater fish possible. It gives recommendations on tank size, compatibility, feeding etc. If you stick to their stocking suggestions you will be pretty safe.

http://www.***********.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15

I really wish the best for you, and your fish of course, and your not the only one to do what you've done, i see it all the time and unfortunately a lot of the time it comes down to the LFS not asking questions about your system because they want to make a sale.
Get rid of the tangs, keep up more frequent water changes, and hopefully the remaining fish will get well and survive for you. Oh and lots of good quality food often.
Have you been able to move the Naso to QT on his own yet.?
If yes how is he looking, to be honest I will be amazed if he makes it he looked pretty bad, so lets hope he is a tuff bugger and pulls through.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How long have you had the clowns? Closeups of fins may help us to determine sickness or aggression.

mandy111

How long have you had the clowns? Closeups of fins may help us to determine sickness or aggression.
OK. Not a great picutre of clown, but I have to say the discoloration on the white stripe on the head looks like bruising, it also looks hit along the side of the body. This is a picture of a clown that has suffered aggression. very similar. There is a great thread on this site with great pictures showing signs and symptons on different fish re aggression or disease.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/index.php?threads/diseased-fish-pictures.127010/#post-1193470