sick chocolate chip starfis??

easterling

Hello Can someone please help. I've had my tank for about 6mths now it is a 55gallon. I got a chocolate chip starfish last weekend and now it has a white spot on it's underside and it looks like it's orange coloring on top is also turning white. I noticed the spot a few days ago I tried to upload a picture but my computer is stupid and I dont' think it worked. Here are my levels, I took them yesterday.
Gravity 1.022
Nitrite .05
Alkalinity "normal"
Ammonia .25
Nitrate not too sure how to read it on the right side of the color strip it says high 12.5 left side says low 2.5
I was reading some of the other posts and they said something about feeding the starfish, this sounds kind of dumb but how do you feed it the fish store told me they just eat the alge on the tank.
please help :help:

ophiura

Hi,
Its REALLY important to get more accurate readings on your water quality. If you are using test strips, these are really not adequate. I would immediately take a sample to your local fish store for more specific results, including pH.
Your ammonia should be 0, Nitrite should be 0...if not, you have some sort of problem.
Nitrate is also important to know.
What are the inhabitants of your tank?
FWIW, your specific gravity, IMO, is too low for these animals. If you are measuring with a hydrometer, it could be very inaccurate. It is important to bring this reading up to 1.025-1.026 but it must be done very slowly, over many days. Too quickly and it will be a fatal shock. An easy way is to simply top off with saltwater instead of freshwater.
How long did you acclimate this star?
You should try and see if it is interested in spot feeding. Take a bamboo skewer or something and place a piece of shrimp or something meaty on it (eg squid, krill). Place it on the sand next to the arm tip of the star. It should react and move onto it to feed.
Your star is probably not suffering from starvation at this time though it is important. Based on the time frame and your description I am more concerned about acclimation shock.

easterling

My test kit is Marine Lab from Red Sea. Below is what the card looks like.
Nitrate NO3 p.p.m
high range low range
0 green 0
12.5 lavender 2.5
25 d.lanvender 5.0
The Ph was 8.2 How do I fix the ammonia and nitrite levels? And I'm not too sure what you mean by "acclimate" my starfish. Sorry I am pretty new at this. Oh yeah I only have 5 damsels and 2 snails in the tank along with my cc starfish. What do you use to test the gravity if not a hydrometer?