sick clown?

candwill

I noticed my clown acting funny this morning. He is almost acting like he is choking on something. He is breathing a little heavier than normal, and wont close his mouth at all. He also didn't eat this evening. Other than that, he is hiding a little more than normal, but no other strange behavior. All of my other fish seem fine. I have also tested my water twice today, and my PH was a little low and my ammonia was a little high (PH 8.0, nitrate and nitrite 0, ammonia .25). Can anyone help me figure out what is going on? I'm just afraid he is choking or something.

sepulatian

Do you know why you have ammonia? Has something died or is this a new system? When was the last time you checked your readings prior to today?

candwill

I last checked the levels about 3 or 4 days ago before I put two new fish in the tank. I don't know if this could have caused the ammonia or not. It's not really a new system. I've had it set up for about 8 or so months now, but just started adding fish a little while ago. This fish is the only one I had prior to setting up this tank.

sepulatian

What size is the tank and what new fish did you add? The clown that is acting odd is not new correct? What else is in the tank? LR & LS?

candwill

It's a 55 gallon FOWLR, LS, (not sure the amount of LR). The fish that have been added were a flame angel and another clown (they have gotten along very well). I also added a purple tang before those two, but after about a week or so I took him back to the store. (hadn't found this website yet so I didn't realize the tang shouldn't be in there) I have had the fish that is acting strange for about 6 months or so.