sick cowfish white spots

shwstpr88

Hey Beth, my cowfish had another round of white spots today his eyes also look like they have a film over them too. Is this normal I do have the tank at 1.011 right now not quite yet 1.009 I have been trying to do it slowly. Do you think I just need to let him fend it off or do I need to do anything else? Should I get copper?
Also with my 55gal I have two puffers in there its ok for them to be hypod too right?
How long should the hypo last?
Thanks!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Another bout of ich. Why aren't you in hypo yet? Did you get your refractometer? 1.011 is not therapeutically effective.
Yes, all fish exposed to ich should be hypo-ed. There is not harm done to fish that are hypo-ed, if done correctly.

shwstpr88

So you can change the salt level fairly quickly? I have him at 1.009 now I just thought it would shock him to death if I just dropped it that quickly.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Dropping to hypo is best done over 2 days, changing back to normal saline should take at least 5 days. I read a post a bit above and it sounds like you just started 2 days ago?
The puffer is likely seeing his reflection. Do you have a black back to the tank?

shwstpr88

Just an update looks like things are going well in both tanks, my cow is comind down off its second infestation of ich in the 30 gal. It is at 1.009 currently.
My 55 gal tank I am still not thrilled with water quality but i am doing regular 10% water changes daily. PH has been low at lik 7.8 trying to raise it to 8.0. Also ammonia is still above 0 as well as nitrites. I have been adding Prime and Stress coat to help the fish battle threw. The tank is currently at 1.009 as well so this must last for what three weeks? then a week to bring the salt back up?

shwstpr88

I took a few pictures today of the tanks as well as close ups of my cowfish:
I call it super mario world lol....

30 Gal QT:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If they are comfortable with 7.8, then leave it until the ammonia drops to zero. Otherwise, go to 8.0, but not higher.

shwstpr88

OK cowfish is 100% again all ich has cleared hopfully that was the last outbreak since he has been in hypo for about a week now.
Quick question in my empty DT how long till the ICH dies in there since there is no host?

small triggers

6-8 weeks,, leave it fallow as long as possible...i would also do a nice big water change in the DT and change your filter media a week or so before putting the fish back in...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
By the time you are finished with hypo, starting from the time that you see no more spots, counting three weeks, and then another week to return the water back to normal parameters, the display will be clear.
In other words, when your fish are done with treatment, your tank will be ready for them. Ich life cycle is apprx 2 weeks. In the absence of fish, the life cycle is broken.

shwstpr88

Well just wanted to give an update the cowfish is doing great! the 21st will be three weeks So I will start adding salt to my waterchanges. What would be the best way to reintroduce the salt?.005 increase at a time?
Also the other 55 gallon tank is....well there alive parameters have driven me nuts the whole time but its almost over soon they will be back in my 125 gal which is alwasy perfect. I did have some losses cleaner wrasse (TBD) , firefish (eaten?), 1 clown (eaten!), diamond goby (jumped out)
They are survived by my Puffer who ate some of them I think, yellow tang, hippo tang, emp juvi angel, 1 clown (new mate is in the other QT with the cowfish), blue spot puffer.
I'm glad this is almost over it's been...."fun".

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Use the water from your display to change hypo water, then add new salt water to the display. This will eliminate the need to acclimate the cow back to the display.

shwstpr88

aaaah today is the day, thanks for the help beth it has been much appreciated, I have been using the DT tank water for changes.
Of course I had to have another issue though last night and I'm glad I checked but my heater broke down and the water got to 68 degrees! So I took the heater from my DT and put in there and did another water swap to get some warmer water going this morning they are back to normal, but yes T minus 12 hours till I'm back to normal!!!!

shwstpr88

So I put everyone back in today but really freaked out my hipp tang.....all the sudden like almost instantly WHITE SPOTS ALL OVER IT! Is this ich again or just somthing that hippos do? No one else has had any spots.