Sick Flame Angel

ttv83

I’m, hoping someone has some information that can help me. I have a Flame Angel that I have had for about 4 weeks. I had him in a QT tank for three weeks and he was doing great.
I moved him to my Display tank and he was fine for about 6 days. Today I noticed that he is sluggish, does not want to eat, looks a bit bloated, and his lips appear to be enlarged.
Has anyone seen anything like this before and do you have any suggestions on how to treat this problem?
Thanks,
--Tim

beth

Administrator
Staff member
He may have gotten stung by your anemone. Most angels are notorious for nipping at lps. An anemone is not a lps, but it sure might look like one to an angelfish. Generally, you can have problems with angels in reefs....they are nippers, and in a reef, some things nip back!
Keep an eye on the situation.

ttv83

Thanks for your input Beth. I panicked when I saw him like that so I pulled him out of display and put em in QT. Now’s he lying on his side. I hope I didn’t make the situation worse!
It does look as though that’s what happened though. I’m afraid he’s not gona make it. He’s still breathing but lying on his side not moving. Do you think there is anything I can do?
--Tim

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is he breathing hard, gills swollen, red gills, skin sliming? It wouldn't hurt to administer antibiotics.
See how he's doing tomorrow. I wouldn't rule out sting from an anemone in which case there is not much to do except wait and see.

frozenguy

he may just be kinda shocked/stressed....
my flame always kinda had "lips"
but as for nipping, lemme tell ya, they nip at things in reefs....hehehe
mine did....

flamehawk

I don't know about the stinging part but I had a FA in a Q tank which was completly bare and experienced the same thing around the same time period. I chauled it up to poor collection methods and decided I would not buy another Fa again. He unfortunately did not make it . I hope yours does. Good luck.

ttv83

Thanks all for the replies. I moved him into QT. He was only in the display tank for 4 days.
Unfortunately he didn't make it. Died shortly after returing to QT.