Sick percula

spyderreef

I have a sick percula with possibly ich and it also has a pop eye just since yesterday (the eye). Will adding neon (cleaner) gobies help with the ich. It is staying at the bottom in a corner. Would it be a good idea to set up a separate tank? I have a spare 10 gal. My large set up is a 120 reef so I know that I can not use chemicals.

aileena

if i were you i would definetly set up a hospital tank and treat the clown with myacin or copper...like you said there is no other way to treat him in your main tank...the only other alternative is to get him out and take him to the pet store and ask if they will treat him for you...I would get him out before he gets all the other fish sick...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Don't treat with either maracyn or copper. What symptoms are you actually seeing on the fish? Details!
Also, if you are dealing with ich, all your fish will need treatment, and not just the one that has symptoms at the moment.
Have you added fish resently? How many fish do you have?
Setting up a hospital is a good idea, but if you are dealing with ich, and you have a lot of fish, you certainly can't treat them in a 10 gal hospital tank.

spyderreef

My percula clowns are the only ones that have small white spots on them. They were all together in a 29 gal. I just moved them into my 120 3-4 weeks ago. They eat fine and act fine except for the one perc today that has the pop eye. He stays at the bottom of the tank but I did see him eat. When an ich outbreak happened in my 125, on my hippo tangs, I bought the 2 cleaner gobies, increased the temp to 82 and added coral vital to my water everyday for a week. At that time I did not have an extra tank.
Other fish
1 damsel
1 dottyback
1 PJ cardinal
3 percula clowns
1 flame hawk
1 coral hawk
just added a lawnmower blenny.
Beth I will wait until I hear from you. In the meantime I set up the 10 gal with a Magnum 350.

spyderreef

I should also add that I have a coral banded shrimp and a spiney urchin.
The spots on the clown are different in size and are on the body. I don't see any on the fins. I was reading about the QT tank and I don't think my tank is ready for this fish anyway. I used half tank water and half aged saltwater. No substrate and no LR. I am circulating the water with a Magnum 350. I also have a heater.
All of the fish traveled from Chicago to Mpls and were kept in a 29 gal for at least 2 months. No ich and no fish loss. I waited until my new tank cycled before adding the fish to my new tank. My water levels have been good. I added everything in 2 days because they had been kept together. Any ideas of what could have cause the ich outbreak? What causes a fishes eye to pop out?