sick puffer

babyb

i was in ym room and i heard something taping so i went out to see what it was, my cousin was tapping on the tank yelling puffer i want to see you ( he is 3) i tried to show him the puffer when i found him he was alittle puffed up and his back black i took some pics, he did look alittle funny lastnight but mot like this
what should i do
ill post in a sec the battery died grrr

aw2x3

What are the other tank mates?
Also, what are your tank parameters?...from the pics, your tank doesn't look too good.

babyb

the othe tank mates are a banded ,and a yellow headed eel, its a 90 gal, ill go check the parm, its not the tank that looks like that if your talking about the water, i am a crappy pic taker

babyb

i checked the parms starting from the left in the pic they are
1 am. .0
2nitrite .0
3 ph 8.5
4 nitrate .0

babyb

ok looking at the pic i have .25 in ammonia, a water chance will take that away right

hmm I have the same test kit it looks like. I'm definatly new to the hobby and pretty much just bought the first test kit i saw. Have you been using it for a while. If so how it, good quality/accuracy?

reefforbrains

Thoroughbred- its a fine test for Fish only, but I wouldnt trust it for reefkeeping, its just too vague. Also it doesnt include cal, mag, or phos.
BabyB- Your amonia will drop with a waterchange, but only as much as your dilluting the tank with clean new water. In FOWLR tanks a bit of trates is sometimes commonplace because of the waste produced by larger fish is noticable. But presence of amonia is never good in any amount. Not to henpeck ya but the tank does look a bit in need of a good cleaning.
Did you let all the tests that need to develop sit for the proper time? Trates reading blank with presence of amonia is odd to me in a FOWLR. The amonia should be in transition through the process into trites and trates...unless something very new just happened.
The puffer doesnt look sick, perhaps bothered, you know they are normally nocturnal and like to be lathargic during the day even sleeping somewhere where they can be left alone. Then at night they pace entire tank length endlessly. Give the little dude a break from pounding on the glass and he will most likley rebound.

stdreb27

ReefForBrains said:
The puffer doesnt look sick, perhaps bothered, you know they are normally nocturnal and like to be lathargic during the day even sleeping somewhere where they can be left alone. Then at night they pace entire tank length endlessly. QUOTE]
I tend to agree. I was worried about my puffer for a while. I spoke with some person I met that has years of taking care of puffers. After watching mine do the same stuff mope around or hide under a rock all day. But at night they are pretty active.
But I wouldn't worry about that test kit saying .25 either. Mine always says this. I've tested my water with my friends higher end one and read 0. Just don't think it is all that high quality.

babyb

i figured out why i had some ammonia, my enginer goby crawled in the filter and died, he was my very first fish i have had him since the beginning im so upset
and on top of that the puffer didnt make it, i found him with a starfish on him eating him, i had had him for a year or so, im so upset, i hate when things dont go the way i need them to
i have three empty beer bottles in there, ones green, one is pink and the last is clear, i like them they give a little diversity and i think it looks like a harbor or something, all it needs is some chains an ancher, and a sunkin ship

lion_crazz

I am a little concerned with the cleanliness of the water, also, judging by the pics. To have those two fish die (two very hardy fish), something must be wrong. It appears you have a lot of algae with minial nitrates showing in the reading. What kind of water do you use in the tank?

psusocr1

you have a shark in there? if so they could seriously cause levels in a 90 since they are big eaters

babyb

no i dont have a shark
the water doesnt look like that in person its just the lighting of the basment all the pics come out like that down here
i use well water
the enginer goby crawled into the filter
and i talked with my fish guy about it today and he said it sounded like my cousin had anti bacterial soap on his hands