sick puffer :(

margie

I have a Hawaiian blue puffer that not feeling so good. His body is sunken in and has been for a while but, today hes not eating and lying under a piece of bleached coral... I feed him formula one, mynisis shrimp, squid,brine shrimp ,krill,
I've had this to happen to another puffer I had previously. I asked here and determined its was probably a dietary problem Is it a diet problem?? How do I correct it and get him eating again??

margie

I used to have that in my signature...thought I still did
uuummmmmmmm...........
But I get home from work and he is swimming around and eating like he always does,(I thought for sure I would find him dead) but would like to find out why he so sunkin in. Tried to get a picture of him but hes too fast and can't get a good one that shows what I mean, I'll edit one in later..This is the 2nd puff I've had that had these symptoms
45gal fish only (no live rock yet )
set up for 20 yrs with crushed coral
tank mates are
1 royal gramma
1 blue devil
1 pink skunk clown
1 perc. clown
ph is 8.3
have not had the water tested as of yet

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, it looks like his belly is bulging in various places. What are you feeding him?

margie

His belly is larger at the bottom,but the upper part is sunkin in Wish he would let me get a good pic of him .I need to read the photography forum..
I feed him mostly frozen foods. I defrost in a cup of water, then pour into the tank.. He eats squid one day, another day ,marine cuisine then one each day plankton, formula one, emerald entree, brine shrimp , every once in a while he eats dry fooods ie formula one flakes and hikari marine..
I do appreciate your time helping me with my puff...

blownz281

buy some fresh shrimp from the market and chop it up very small,even a cheap fish fillet,clams. puffers are not flake feeders or brine shrimp. they will eat anything but they need meaty foods. even some krill if you soap it then give it to the puffer so its softer. maybe soak it in some vitamins also to get his weight up.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Did you take those pictures just following a meal? How big are the chunks of food you are offering?
Puffers need hard shelled foods, so shrimp with the shells on it is a good idea. Partially opened clams that he can tear into would be good as well.

margie

those pics were taken about 2 hours after he ate. The food is very small. Gonna get him some shrimp for dinner tonight,think I'll have some too.I'll see if I can find some clams too, What kind of vitamins should I get him??? I've never seen them offered in any catalogs...
thanks blownz281 and Beth for your help, Puff and I really appreciate it ..

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Zoecon is good choice for food. Try cutting up the food a bit more. It doesn't need to be mush, but smaller chunks.