Sick Royal Gramma?

J

jamiegrl

Ok I was in a rush and bought a royal gramma. It looked a little beat up because it was in an aggressive fish tank at the store. Can royal grammas be a little discolored. They should be purple and yellow but can thier face also have a little yellow in it? I thought he had a little yellow in his face but now im not so sure.
Also I have these microscopic white dots swimming all around my tank. They started in when I started feeding frozen shrimp. My bangaii cardinal eats some of them but what are they??

dinogeorge

Originally Posted by jamiegrl
Ok I was in a rush and bought a royal gramma. Also I have these microscopic white dots swimming all around my tank. They started in when I started feeding frozen shrimp. My bangaii cardinal eats some of them but what are they??
Well don't feel bad Jamiegrl, nearly all of us have made an impulse purchase, so your not alone. The fact that he was a little beat up is reason to be concerned, but not panicked. Fish oten become discolored when under stress, so the thing to do right now is get him calmed down. This means you should try to reduce the lights in your tank as much as you can and not mess around with anything in the tank for a couple of days. No cleaning glass, moving rock etc. Just let the fellow have some "down time" to feel better about his new home. Remember, if he was being beaten up by other fish, he still thinks they are "out there" somewhere. If you have coral or something that needs plenty of light, then just try to turn them on later than normal and off sooner then usual.
As or your white critters, they sound like pods. In most cases they are good for your tank, and fish! They also mean that your water quality is really good as well. So their presence is a good thing in most cases.
Sleep easy kiddo, your Gramma is going to be one of the most amazing fish in your tank, once he ccalms down and shows you his "true colors"!

J

jamiegrl

haha ok never mind... this morning the "yellow patches" are white.... dude this fish has ich all over it!
ahh i hate fish stores!!!.... the store was dark so i didn't get a super look it him....
ok so in my tank i have 23lbs LR, 15 hermits, 15 cerith snails, a percula clown, and a bangaii cardinal....
the gramma has been in there for exactly 12 hours so what is the chance that the rest of the tank will develop ich?
The store only does exchange so considering the circumstances do I just take store credit for now?
What can I buy to treat the tank?

florida joe

No HT/QT I am assuming (not beating the drum here but one more reason to have one) get the royal out now bring him back to the LFS. Now the hard part you cannot Hypo your DT because of the live rock snails and crab. You may be forced to use copper but that’s deadly to invert. Once you get the royal out keep a close eye on the other fish for dots or scratching you may luck out in the mean time I am sure the more knowledgeable people here will present you with a good plan of attack. Good luck

perfectdark

Unfortunatly your only course of action is to get all your fish out of your DT and into a QT and start hypo and treatment for ich. I had the same thing happen to me and while I searched for alternate methods of treatment this is the only real way to ensure success. Your DT must stay fish free for at least 6 weeks to break the ich cycle. I am keeping mine free for 8 weeks, just to make sure.

florida joe

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Unfortunatly your only course of action is to get all your fish out of your DT and into a QT and start hypo and treatment for ich. I had the same thing happen to me and while I searched for alternate methods of treatment this is the only real way to ensure success. Your DT must stay fish free for at least 6 weeks to break the ich cycle. I am keeping mine free for 8 weeks, just to make sure.
I belive Beth states no live rock in the tank you are going to hypo you may want to search out her post on how to hypo a tank

J

jamiegrl

so even better i went back to the LFS to return the ich fish. They told me that they would not sell me a fish that looked like that and that I was wrong and it's not ich it was just beat up... first off it was covered in white patches and it DEFINATELY looked like ich! Then to top things off they tell me i lied about the price. Anyone in the Norristown area of Pennsylvania beware of Big Al's!!!!
I think im gonna do things the wrong way. I turned the heat up on the tank to speed the life cycle of ich and Im gonna wait it out. So far there's nothing on either fish. I did a water change and turned up all the substrate. It's im only adding 1 more fish to this tank and im done so i dont feel buying a QT tank yet. I'll do it later if i need to.
I hope things work out!

srfisher17

so even better i went back to the LFS to return the ich fish. They told me that they would not sell me a fish that looked like that and that I was wrong and it's not ich it was just beat up... first off it was covered in white patches and it DEFINATELY looked like ich! Then to top things off they tell me i lied about the price. Anyone in the Norristown area of Pennsylvania beware of Big Al's!!!!
I think im gonna do things the wrong way. I turned the heat up on the tank to speed the life cycle of ich and Im gonna wait it out. So far there's nothing on either fish. I did a water change and turned up all the substrate. It's im only adding 1 more fish to this tank and im done so i dont feel buying a QT tank yet. I'll do it later if i need to.
I hope things work out!
Sorry for all your trouble; but you'll learn from it. We are always discussing the importance of a QT; and I know not everyone has the resources to set up one right off the bat. But you hit a very important point; where we buy livestock is extremely important. I buy everything online; but remember my favorite lfs in Mississippi- pre-katrina. They QT everything, would never mix a gamma and an aggressive fish, they know their fish and their customers. Its a very tough biz to compete in; but if you find a good one, they're priceless. Good luck.

J

jamiegrl

Ok so Big Al's bites the big one for fish but thier coral and inverts are really good at a normal price (this websites are still better with beter quality). Another LFS that is good is called The Hidden Reef, 4501 New Falls Rd. Levittown PA 19056. They have better prices than Big Al's for all non living things and they have good healthy fish. The only thing that is good and bad is the fact that sell out and it may take them a while to restock. They don't buy in crazy bulk which is better for the fish but it just means you may have to wait. They do take orders though and call you when they are in. One other place is in Lacaster called That Fish Place, 237 Centerville Road Lancaster PA, 17603. Only been there one but their fish look healthy and they have a good selection of both corals and fish.

jocomaster

Ok so Big Al's bites the big one for fish but thier coral and inverts are really good at a normal price (this websites are still better with beter quality). Another LFS that is good is called The Hidden Reef, 4501 New Falls Rd. Levittown PA 19056. They have better prices than Big Al's for all non living things and they have good healthy fish. The only thing that is good and bad is the fact that sell out and it may take them a while to restock. They don't buy in crazy bulk which is better for the fish but it just means you may have to wait. They do take orders though and call you when they are in. One other place is in Lacaster called That Fish Place, 237 Centerville Road Lancaster PA, 17603. Only been there one but their fish look healthy and they have a good selection of both corals and fish.
Thank you
Will try Levittown this weekend