Sick Sailfin Tang

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Normally, I would recommend the tang go into a hospital tank for treatment, but you don't one. I would think about setting one up. Its the only way to introduce healthy fish in a display tank---by avoiding putting sick fish in directly, they go into the quarantine tank first.
See if the LFS has selcon or zeocon, and get a glove of fresh garlic from the grocery store if don't already have some.
What are you feeding your fish?

mhtwirler1

I'm feeding them the Frozen cubes of food called Daily- I defrost it and mix with the fresh garlic and seaweed with garlic extract in it too.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Just use the fresh garlic, mince it, let the food soak in it for a couple of mins, then feed the food (not the garlic). Add some more variety to the diet; and for tangs, they will also need algae. Some algae sheets would be good so the tang can graze, which they do naturally.

mhtwirler1

Thanks very much, doing everything you guys told me. He is still hiding this morning but he is moving so as soon as he comes out I can see if he lookes better,.

mhtwirler1

Yes he is eating, mostly the algea strips. He also has been swimming around and found a hiding place in a cave. So what other food would you recommend for him and I noticed my foxface is loosing color a little too.
Our protein skimmer is also not working at all, any recommendations for protein skimmers for a 90 gallon tank that we would like to be a reef tank.
Also when would be a good time to add more live sand, our tank barely has sand, not even a inch in most places.
Thanks again, Ashley

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to wait until all is well with this fish before making major additions, like live sand. For the sand, you will have to move all the fish and rock out again. You said you were feeding Daily. What is in that food mix?
About the skimmer, post for help in the Equipment Forum. Do you have a sump?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtwirler1 http:///t/392967/sick-sailfin-tang/20#post_3493239
Yes he is eating, mostly the algea strips. He also has been swimming around and found a hiding place in a cave. So what other food would you recommend for him and I noticed my foxface is loosing color a little too.
Our protein skimmer is also not working at all, any recommendations for protein skimmers for a 90 gallon tank that we would like to be a reef tank.
Also when would be a good time to add more live sand, our tank barely has sand, not even a inch in most places.
Thanks again, Ashley
The little amount of sand is fine, some people don't have any sand at all. Live rock is really needed to keep a healthy tank. I have an Octopus XP 1000sss in my sump and I love it. Don't go adding things, or moving stuff around. The fish is sick and needs a stress free environment and adding or moving stuff causes stress.

mhtwirler1

Yes we have a sump. We want a deep sand bed at some point. At our LFS we were told the Tang is going to completely lose that eye that is swollen and filmed over. We have those frozen Daily cubes that are a mix of meat food and vitamins and we got algae sheets too.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtwirler1 http:///t/392967/sick-sailfin-tang/20#post_3493254
Yes we have a sump. We want a deep sand bed at some point. At our LFS we were told the Tang is going to completely lose that eye that is swollen and filmed over. We have those frozen Daily cubes that are a mix of meat food and vitamins and we got algae sheets too.
Why do you want a deep sand bed? I know there are a few reasons, I am just asking for your reasons to know what your plans are..

mhtwirler1

Thats the best picture I can get, he won't let me take a picture or really see that part of his body he swims away as soon as I try to look at that side.

mhtwirler1

I've read it's a good filteration system and for potential NNR, and I would like a sand sifting starfish and a sea cumcumber. The guy at our LFS said a deep sand bed would be best for these things?? We also like the look and would like to start growing coral and other stuff.

I just got done reading and i just want to wish you the best of luck i hope your fish gets better. this is a really great site and the people here are super great, so stick around you will love it. There is so much to learn in this hobby and this is the place to do it.Onces again i wish you the best of luck.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I love the DSB. It is an ecosystem in and of itself which is very interesting to watch and develop. You do have to pay it some attention in establishing the detritivores appropriate for the sand bed, and keeping away from creatures that are not good for the sandbed. The DSB is an excellent addition in maintaining a natural biosystem. In order to begin one however, it will require a lot of sand. You will need to remove all of your fish and LR at least for a couple of days while you set it up.
I don't think that fish is in jeopardy of loosing its eye at this point, it does have an infection which I'm hoping that less stress, vitamin supplements, fresh garlic, and lower nitrates will be enough to help out with the eye. A course of antibiotics would work well, however, you do not have a hospital tank. You should seriously consider setting one up.