Sick Singapore?

ohscc

I have had my singapore angel now for about 2 years with absolutly no problem. I feed him seaweed selects, flake, and formula 2. Today I noticed he didn't come out when I feed my fish, so I looked and found him hovering in one corner of the tank. I just pulled him out of the tank and have him in a small tank. He doesn't eat,or swim (only hovers). His fins are really torn up and so is his body(Scales showing flesh like), but i think this may be do to the crab I inherited when I bought live rock. Yes, I did see the crab over there. No new additions. Please help!
P.S. Mouth a little read and he seems to be twithch when hovering.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If harrassment is the issue then the best thing you can do is to get rid of the crab. Leave the fish in the hospital tank and maintain optim conditions in the tank. He may die due to the stress of harrassment, but if he doesn't, you should start seeing imporvement over the next 24-hrs or so. He may develop a disease as well due to the harrassment, particularly a bacterial disease where his flesh has been torn.
Lets see what develops over the next 48 hrs.

ohscc

I have notice the crab in there for about 3 months so I know that the fish had to have some disease to allow the crab to get him, so I don't think it is only the crab.
Update: Last night I put the angel in a smaller tank and placed the smaller tank inside my aquarium. I then fed my fish some formula 2 and and added a little into the angel cage. At first he showed no interest but then he began to peck at the food on the bottom until he got most of it. As I just came home from school I now know that my fish does have a disease because his right eye has started to puff out and is considerably larger than the left.(Pop-eye disease? no cloudiness) What can I do to save my fish? I will update you later tonight to tell you if he eats again.
P.S. I do have some left over myacyn 2 if that will help.
[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: OhsCC ]

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of hospital tank do you have that you can place it inside the main tank???
Popeye can be an actual disease process, or it can also be a result of injury---from harrassment. For the momment, feed the fish garlic soaked food. Garlic is mostly used for ick, but it does also have some antibiotic properties, so, if an infection is developing, the garlic might do the job--otherwise you are looking at medication therapy.
However, I'm still hoping the fish is suffering from stress related harrassment. Lets just do the garlic and see what develops over the next 24 hours. Additionally, if you can clip the seaweed so that the fish can brouse, that could be very beneficial--especially for a stressed fish. If you can get Zoecon or Zoe vit supplement, also soak the food in that.

ohscc

This is not my hospital tank, the thing I am using right now is like a cage that holds the fish but lets the regular water in from the tank. I have never done the garlic treatment before so can you tell me where and what I want to buy? I have heard health food stores(GNC????)have some but I was wondering if you can tell me if this is a liquid and if you know a name of it, it would be much helpful. Thanks for your time and help. Thanks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can smash up just some plain old garlic cloves and soak the food in the juices. You can get garlic juice at the grocery store in the section where they sell spices. At the health food store you can buy garlic gel caps [similiar to vit E] and break open the gel caps to get the garlic out. Additionally, you may ask your LFS. There is a garlic product now on the market sold especially for fish.
Be sure that whatever you buy, the ingredient is garlic only. No salt or additives. If you go to LFS, see if you can get Zoe or Zoecon. Zoe and many excellent vitimins and works very well for improving fish health. Zoecon has Omega3 fatty acids which is an excellent for fish and sick fish in stress or immune compromised.

ohscc

I went to the grocery store the other day and they had garlic juice except it has some kind of gum in it and citric acid will these things harm the fish? Thanks again

ohscc

Update: Fins are all most fully recovered. (Shocking if you would have actually have seen them when I found him.) He is eating Formula 2 and brown seaweed selects soaked in Zoe but not as aggressively as he once did but that may be yet to change. He is swimming around and doing fine except that his eye is still puffed up. Once again his eye has no cloudiness just puffed up.How do I fix this and is the stuff I mentioned above any good? And how do I catch this stupid crab? I barly ever see him but I know he is in there. (he is brown )P.S. I have lots of rocks. Thanks for your time and effort.