Sick Starfish?

haub

Just got 2 choc chip starfish and they are getting stringy and also look like a white fungus on the top. I'm also seeing a foam substance from where they have moved. Is this the beginning of disintegration? Right now the only parameter that I see that could be an issue is the salinity which is between 1.021 and 1.022.

bigarn

Did you acclimate them properly? Starfish are very sensitive and easily stressed. 3hrs of acclimation useing the drip method is how I did mine. ( sandsifter ) When this process is complete, you should check the salinity of the water they're in as well as the tank water. If the tank water salinity is to much higher or lower you could have problems since starfish are very sensitive to changes in salinity.
Hope this helps for your next ones.

haub

i dripped them for an hour only. Unfortunately, I didn't check the salinity of the acclimation to see how different it was from mine.
At what gravity are u keeping your stars at? Am I doomed, they haven't lost any limbs yet and are moving around ok. They just have this stringy/fungus look and also are leaving a foam behind when they move.

bigarn

I'm trying to keep my salinity around 1.024 and all seem to be doing well. They're probably shocked from inproper acclimation. THIS ISN'T YOUR FAULT....This is a very tough hobby, and no one person knows everything. This is why this forum is so usefull.
They might pull through....but if they don't you'll know better next time. It's happened to all of us.

M

monsterm

Hi, I have the same problem. I have a red starfish and I acclimated it for about 2 hrs. The center of it looks white like if it bursted or has been eaten. Some stringing white stuff is comming out of the center of it. I have a flame angel, and two emeral crabs in the tank with it. Should I take it out or leave it in and hope for it to regernerate? bigarn, are your starfish ok?
Thanks,
Mo

viper_930

I don't know the answers to your questions, but seastars should be drip acclimated for a minimum of 6 hours, more is better. They have a high risk of osmotic shock.