sick tang and fuzz on rock

keitan

I have had my tank for over 2mths now and fish for 1 1/2 mths. I have a snowflake eel, clownfish, yellow tang, raccon butterfly and a purple angel. All of them are doing fine except the yellow tang. He seems to have white spots on his fins and he is a real pale yellow. He eats and acts normal but what is with the spots, is it ick? Also i noticed that on most of all my live rock there is fuzz like stuff growing on them, that was never there. HELP!

sammiefish

could you describe the white spots a little better? not sure what you mean... I can comment to the requirement of YT's need for seaweed in their diet.... if they dont get it they wont do well... you can obtain it in the form of nori... (the stuff that sushi is wrapped in) nori = seaweed... get it at the grocery store... much cheaper (and probably fresher) than seaweed selects from the LFS

keitan

:notsure:
on the front two fins the white spots are maybe the size of the top part on the prong of a fork. They are not a solid white they are like a clody white. I dont know how to describe them sorry, i just know that it is bigger then the spots that a fresh water would get from ick. can salt water get ick too? Does that help any better, plus i am 2hrs. away from any type of salt water store, so what do you suggest?

dmc888

Ich would look like pieces of salt sprinkeled on the fish.
Others signs are scratching and abnormal breathing.
I would put the tang in a qt.
Also check the disease section for treatment and more info.

corynm

qt = quarantine tank (aka hospital tank)
I'm pretty new to this hobby as well, but have gathered that these tanks are for treating sick fish without treating the entire tank.

keitan

:thinking:
How do you make a hospital tank? Do you need rock, sand, how big does the tank have to be and where can i get more info. I am getting the info that is where i should put my sick yellow tang.

corynm

I would suggest reading a few books. I have learned alot from "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and "The New Marine Aquarium". But I think a basic QT/hospital tank should be at least a 10 gallon tank with basic filtration and lighting. I was hoping that someone with some more experience would chime in to reply to you, but this is what I have learned so far. The QT tank can also be used to acclimate new fishes before putting them into your display tank.
If you treat your yellow tang in the hospital tank using any meds (especially copper) make sure to dump your QT tank water before using the tank to acclimate again.
Again, this is what I've learned so far...hopefully you will get some replies from some of the more knowledgeable users on this great forum.
Good luck and hope your fish gets well soon