Sick Tang (Beth help or anyone)

life~reefer

Well my tomini tang has been in QT for 3 weeks and 2 days so far and in the last three or four days has developed some issues. He has developed a small pink patch under his eye and some flakey white stuff on his eye and face. I feed him mysis, marine cuisine, brine, squid, emerald entree, nori (not sure if he gets much of this because at first he pulled whole pieces off but couldn't chew it but I still try to get him to eat it), and formula two pellets(only pellets I feed got them because i wanted to make sure he got enough vegetable matter). On the food I either put fresh garlic, vita-chem (could not find any other vitamins locally) , or nothing. He is more active since he is used to the Qt now but I planned to take him out after I hit the 5 or 6 week point. He has plenty of places to hid, fresh macro algae in the tank, and carbon in the Hob filter. Here are the pictures:(I took as many as I could but they are so fast it is hard to manage a good picture)

luvmyreef

Oh my, he does look bad..poor little guy..I personally haven't seen anything like this.
Try to private message beth...she should be able to help.....

T

tizzo

How big is your QT? I ask because I had a yellow tang, when I put him in a 30 gal QT after about 3 weeks, he developed HLLE, which is what yours looks like it has. Anyway, after I put him back into the 4 foot long DT, it went away and left no scars and I firmly believe that the lack of space caused it, since everything else matched the params of the DT...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That spot below the eye looks like the beginning of Head and Lateral Line Erosion. Is that the only problem area you notice?
Post your water readings in the QT and in the display?
How often are you feeding this fish?
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/365773/sick-tang-beth-help-or-anyone

florida joe

I agree with Beth’s diagnoses. I personally have had a Kole and hippo tang come down with HLLE while in QT

life~reefer

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/3139119
How big is your QT? I ask because I had a yellow tang, when I put him in a 30 gal QT after about 3 weeks, he developed HLLE, which is what yours looks like it has. Anyway, after I put him back into the 4 foot long DT, it went away and left no scars and I firmly believe that the lack of space caused it, since everything else matched the params of the DT...
It is a 20 gallon I think so that could be a problem.

life~reefer

Originally Posted by Beth http:///forum/post/3139227
That spot below the eye looks like the beginning of Head and Lateral Line Erosion. Is that the only problem area you notice?
Post your water readings in the QT and in the display?
How often are you feeding this fish?
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/127007/faqs-fish-diseases-treatments-quarantine-health-info#post_1712116
I feed the fish usually once a day but sometimes twice since he/she is in Qt.
I will go take the measurements soon.
On the fish there is a part under the eye, it looks like it may have a cloudy eye, and just some flakey stuff on the front of his/her face(hard to explain).

life~reefer

Test results:
salinity 1.024
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5 < No nitrates in display
Nitrite .25 <<< Something is wrong!
Temp 81
Ph 8.2 <lower than I keep it in the display
Do you need? :
MAGNESIUM
ALKALINITY
CALCIUM
PHOSPHATE
I am going to do a 50&#37; water change and switch the carbon. Any other suggestions???

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do you need? :
MAGNESIUM
ALKALINITY
CALCIUM
PHOSPHATE
No.
What are the water readings in your display tank, size of that tank, what kind of tank is it?
A 50% water change all at once is way to much.
Tangs need to be fed at least twice a day, and given algae sheets in addition to meals.

life~reefer

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3139316
Do you need? :
MAGNESIUM
ALKALINITY
CALCIUM
PHOSPHATE
No.
What are the water readings in your display tank, size of that tank, what kind of tank is it?
A 50% water change all at once is way to much.
Tangs need to be fed at least twice a day, and given algae sheets in addition to meals.
Display
Standard 4-foot 75 gallon tank with 40 gallon sump
I can't get 10 gallons right away so i meant over a period of time.
He/she could not chew the algae sheets but I still put them in the tank(rubber banded to a piece of PVC). I have tried cutting them up into little pieces so it would be easier but I don't think it helped.
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 8.4
Salinity 1.025
Thank you for the help by the way. : )

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Go ahead and acclimate the tang over to your display. Do not remove the fish from water to move the fish. Corral the fish into a ziplock with water, submerged in the QT, then move the fish for the acclimation process.
Increase feeding to twice a day, to include food soaked in zoecon or selcon for 5 mins in the fridge then feeding the fish.
This fish is pretty under nourished. There is no reason why a tang can not tear into algae sheets. Just cut off a 3" square, single sheet, and place it on an algae clip. Once it soaks and softens, the fish should have no issues.
Is your tank fish only, or does it have live rock? What else is in the tank?

life~reefer

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3139391
Go ahead and acclimate the tang over to your display. Do not remove the fish from water to move the fish. Corral the fish into a ziplock with water, submerged in the QT, then move the fish for the acclimation process.
Increase feeding to twice a day, to include food soaked in zoecon or selcon for 5 mins in the fridge then feeding the fish.
This fish is pretty under nourished. There is no reason why a tang can not tear into algae sheets. Just cut off a 3" square, single sheet, and place it on an algae clip. Once it soaks and softens, the fish should have no issues.
Is your tank fish only, or does it have live rock? What else is in the tank?
Algae clips don't work for me. The tang always knocks it right off the glass. I don't see why it is under nourished just because It can't seem to chew the nori. It eats some of it just not giant pieces. My tank is a reef with Lps, sps, and zoas. It has a clown, midas blenny, and several invertebrates. Thank you!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Its under norished because its only eating once a day.
Try lodging the algae under one of the rocks.

life~reefer

He has been in for awhile now and is as happy as can be. I will keep everyone updated and get my hands on some other vitamins than what I have already. Thanks for the help!!

life~reefer

The tomini tang has since completely recovered. He/she is enjoying the extra room and coping with his new tank mates. Pictures sometime tomorrow. ; )